Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shenkj
Level 7

Unable to connect VIZIO soundbar to onn 32" TV

Jump to solution

Hi all... this will be the second attempt at connecting a VIZIO 2.0 Home Theater Bluetooth Sound Bar to my onn 32".  I feel like i have tried everything i can think of including calling support for both onn and VIZIO.  I've tried both the AUX cable and a digital optical cable.  I've turned the TV speakers to OFF and set the Audio setting on the TV to Stereo, per instructions from support.  The soundbar DOES work but it does not recognize that it is connected to the TV regardless of which wired connection i use.  I would appreciate any help here that can be provided... thank you!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
StreamerUser
Level 20

Re: Unable to connect VIZIO soundbar to onn 32" TV

Jump to solution

I think there is some confusion here, starting with your usage of the term "AUX".

In modern CE, "AUX" usually refers to a 3.5mm stereo audio connection. 

In this case, you would connect the TV's 3.5mm headphones (output) to the soundbar's 3.5mm AUX (input).  It would just require a male stereo 3.5mm to male stereo 3.5mm cable connection.

It sounds like one of your device's (soundbar?) may have come with an RCA>3.5mm adapter/cable and that you seem to have connected that from the TV's RCA audio INPUT to the soundbar's 3.5mm AUX INPUT.

From the documentation I can see for your TV, the TV's Composite/RCA connectors (video and audio) are INPUT connectors, not output (so dont connect them to your soundbar).

Ideally, you'd want to use HDMI/ARC to connect your TV to your soundbar - however, the soundbar you purchased has no HDMI/ARC input (consider a soundbar with an ARC input)

For your current setup, you need to either:

1)  Connect the TV's 3.5mm headphones output to the soundbars 3.5mm AUX input (analog - not ideal)

or

2) Connect the TV's Optical output to the soundbar's Optical input (digital - best for your config) and configure the TV for Optical output (go to Settings/Audio/SPDIF and ARC and change "Auto detect" to "PCM stereo" if need be).

In either connection case, you need to switch the INPUT (AUX/Optical) function on the soundbar to the input you physically connected to.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3\
StreamerUser
Level 20

Jump to solution

Both the 3.5mm headphones port and Optical port always output audio at all times.

The chances that both the 3.5mm headphones port and Optical port are both broken on your TV is very low.

You can test the headphones jack by connecting headphones (or small unpowered/powered speakers to it) - similarly for the Optical port.

You might want to test the soundbar's input jacks as well.

0 Kudos
shenkj
Level 7

Jump to solution

Thank you... so this is the second VIZIO soundbar i've tried this with.  The first one i had the same problem (Bluetooth connection works perfectly fine with my iPhone but no sound from TV regardless of connection) so i returned it as "defective".  Then the same issue with this soundbar so i'm thinking there is a setting in the TV that i'm not seeing which would allow the tv to connect to the soundbar.  I feel like i've tried it all at this point and was going to contact onn support later this morning...

Also i'm not sure how to test the soundbar's input jacks as you suggest...

The headphone jack on the tv does work (headphones work fine) but, again, no sound to soundbar when connected via aux (red-white) cable, either.  There is no HDMI out from the soundbar, only digital optical and aux... 

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Level 20

Jump to solution

I think there is some confusion here, starting with your usage of the term "AUX".

In modern CE, "AUX" usually refers to a 3.5mm stereo audio connection. 

In this case, you would connect the TV's 3.5mm headphones (output) to the soundbar's 3.5mm AUX (input).  It would just require a male stereo 3.5mm to male stereo 3.5mm cable connection.

It sounds like one of your device's (soundbar?) may have come with an RCA>3.5mm adapter/cable and that you seem to have connected that from the TV's RCA audio INPUT to the soundbar's 3.5mm AUX INPUT.

From the documentation I can see for your TV, the TV's Composite/RCA connectors (video and audio) are INPUT connectors, not output (so dont connect them to your soundbar).

Ideally, you'd want to use HDMI/ARC to connect your TV to your soundbar - however, the soundbar you purchased has no HDMI/ARC input (consider a soundbar with an ARC input)

For your current setup, you need to either:

1)  Connect the TV's 3.5mm headphones output to the soundbars 3.5mm AUX input (analog - not ideal)

or

2) Connect the TV's Optical output to the soundbar's Optical input (digital - best for your config) and configure the TV for Optical output (go to Settings/Audio/SPDIF and ARC and change "Auto detect" to "PCM stereo" if need be).

In either connection case, you need to switch the INPUT (AUX/Optical) function on the soundbar to the input you physically connected to.

0 Kudos