Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Heyyofan
Level 7

Re: Ultra works only on guest SSID

Jump to solution

I turned off the guest WiFi now it detects

how do I change a Roku tv from 5 GHZ to 2.4 GHZ?

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

Jump to solution

@Heyyofan wrote:

I turned off the guest WiFi now it detects

how do I change a Roku tv from 5 GHZ to 2.4 GHZ?

Most devices will connect to whatever band it sees the best. Instead of letting the device choose which connection, I use different SSIDs on my 2.4 and 5 GHz radios. That way I absolutely know which I'm connecting to. 

You can look at the network settings in the Roku, and if you see a channel number in use that is higher than 11, then you're on the 5 GHz band. If it's channel 1-11, then it's 2.4 GHz.

Dan
Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Heyyofan
Level 7

Jump to solution

How do I go back to 5ghz from 2.4ghz?

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

Jump to solution

@Heyyofan wrote:

How do I go back to 5ghz from 2.4ghz?

On my network I use different SSIDs for 2.4 and 5 GHz. That way I know exactly which one I'm connected to. From what I've heard, there are some cable modems that don't allow that. If you can't rename your 5 GHz SSID, I don't think there's any way to "force" a device to use 5 GHz. Unless you turn 2.4 GHz off completely, but then you'll lose connection for any device without a dual band WiFi radio.

Dan
Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos