Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
B_R
Reel Rookie

Ultra works only on guest SSID

Jump to solution

The Ultra was working fine for over a year on 2.4 and 5 GHz SSID. Then a week ago it dropped both. I tried:

-re-inputting passwords for both 2.4 and 5 GHz

-restarted Ultra

-unplugged Asus AC2900 router 

-unplugged Ultra

-did advanced settings reset network settings

-did advanced settings reset to factory

None of these worked until i tried the guest network and it connected. This is OK but then I lose Casting. Why did it lose connection? Why cant' I get it back on 2.4 or 5 GHz? 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
B_R
Reel Rookie

Re: Ultra works only on guest SSID

Jump to solution

Found solution. Somehow router moved the Ultra into MAC filter list so it was not given permission to connect. I don't recall doing this, but maybe while I was playing w/ settings for something else?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
14 REPLIES 14
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Some dual band routers have the ability to direct a device to what it determines to be the best connection, regardless of 2.4 or 5 GHz. And virtually all routers are set to auto for channel selection. If the router determines that the 5 GHz band is best, AND it has set the 5 GHz radio to a DFS channel, the Roku will not be able to connect, as it doesn't support DFS channels. 

What I do is use a separate SSID for my 2.4 and 5 GHz radios, and also manually assign the channels. To avoid DFS, you need to be channel 48 or lower, or channel 149 or higher (going by memory here). Doing that I've never had an issue with any wireless device. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
makaiguy

Jump to solution

@atc98092 wrote:

To avoid DFS, you need to be channel 48 or lower, or channel 149 or higher (going by memory here)

Your memory is flawless.  The 5 GHz channels supported by Roku devices that can receive the 5 GHz band are 36, 40, 44, 48, 149, 153, 157, and 161.

More on DFS for those who care:

The other channels assigned to the 5 GHz band are shared with other uses such as military, radar, and weather. These channels are termed DFS (dynamic frequency selection) and routers are supposed to automatically switch to a different channel if they detect one of these channels are in use.  Many home routers don't even include them, nor are they supported by Roku devices.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
B_R
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

The 2.4 and 5 SSIDs have their own unique names. The Ultra was using 2.4 (no DFS) at the time it went down because it was usually less glitchy than the 5. The router is set to automatically pick best channel. Also, the guest network is on 2.4 and it works. So, why does the Ultra not connect back to the original 2.4? 

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@B_R wrote:

The 2.4 and 5 SSIDs have their own unique names. The Ultra was using 2.4 (no DFS) at the time it went down because it was usually less glitchy than the 5. The router is set to automatically pick best channel. Also, the guest network is on 2.4 and it works. So, why does the Ultra not connect back to the original 2.4? 

That, I can't answer. I realize many people have had WiFi connection issues with some Roku players, although that's mostly just been the Express. 

Have you tried doing a Network Reset in the Settings/System menu? That has worked for some users. Nevermind. After I posted I saw your original post again.

Dan

0 Kudos
makaiguy

Jump to solution
I don't understand why this has worked for me, but ...
Try restarting your router, then when it comes back up, restart your Roku and try to reset your wifi connection.
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
B_R
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Found solution. Somehow router moved the Ultra into MAC filter list so it was not given permission to connect. I don't recall doing this, but maybe while I was playing w/ settings for something else?

0 Kudos
Heyyofan
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I setup some of my Roku devices on my guest home network that’s running 2.4 but the Roku app does not detect any of the devices BUT the devices on the regular home network it does detect those devices 

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@Heyyofan wrote:

I setup some of my Roku devices on my guest home network that’s running 2.4 but the Roku app does not detect any of the devices BUT the devices on the regular home network it does detect those devices 

Any ideas?

Guest WiFi networks block every connected device from seeing other devices. You might be able to turn that off, but on guest networks that's not advisable. Your app and the Roku must both be on the same network, and any device hiding must be turned off. 

Dan

0 Kudos
Heyyofan
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I put some devices on the main network and it is still not finding the devices on the app 

0 Kudos