Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
simpz
Level 7

UK 4K HDR Roku with Ethernet

Is there a device that works with the UK apps (iPlayer, NOWTV, Netflix, Amazon, 4oD, ITV hub) that is 4K HDR and supports wired ethernet?

All I can see is a 4K stick that doesn't seem to have ethernet, and I don't see anything like an add-on ethernet dongle that say the Chromecast has.

Is there anyway of doing this?

Don't fancy streaming 4K over WiFi in my area, hasn't worked will (congestion) with HD in the past,  but all streaming devices are now fine when connected to wired ethernet.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
atc98092
Level 15

Re: UK 4K HDR Roku with Ethernet

The only current model Roku player with Ethernet (other than some Roku TVs) is the Ultra. If that's not available in the UK, then there probably isn't one. Unfortunately I have no way to see what's available in your country. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
simpz
Level 7

Maybe this link works for you.

https://www.roku.com/en-gb/products

Seems to just be "Roku Express" and "Roku Streaming Stick +", I guess neither does both 4K HDR and ethernet?
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 10

"simpz" wrote:

https://www.roku.com/en-gb/products/streaming-stick-plus
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 15

"simpz" wrote:

https://www.roku.com/en-gb/products

Seems to just be "Roku Express" and "Roku Streaming Stick +", I guess neither does both 4K HDR and ethernet?

Yep, that link works. Neither of those products have an Ethernet jack. So apparently in the UK they don't offer anything with Ethernet. The Stick+ is the only 4K/HDR streamer, while the Express is just 1080. Also, the Stick+ supports dual band wireless, as well as 802.11ac. The Express only supports 2.4GHz and 802.11b/g/n wireless. Unless you are streaming ripped 4K Blu Rays, you'll never come close to reaching the theoretical speed limits of either device over wireless. But the Stick+ having dual band and ac support means it can go far faster than wired Ethernet. Remember that no Roku has a Gigabit Ethernet connection, so wireless has more capability from the speed standpoint. In fact, I'm only aware of the Nvidia Shield offering Gigabit Ethernet, along with all the main streaming apps. 
If you're worried about wireless interference in your area, I suggest the Stick+ and add a router that supports 802.11ac. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
simpz
Level 7

"atc98092" wrote:
But the Stick+ having dual band and ac support means it can go far faster than wired Ethernet. Remember that no Roku has a Gigabit Ethernet connection, so wireless has more capability from the speed standpoint. In fact, I'm only aware of the Nvidia Shield offering Gigabit Ethernet, along with all the main streaming apps.

Not Really. Wireless is a shared medium with congestion (and interference). Ethernet switched is guaranteed (on that link) 100Mbs.
The networking matra still holds, ethernet when you can, wireless when you have to. My phone needs wireless, but a fixed set top box isn't when you have too. In a general sense I shouldn't be killing all my other wireless devices performance because I'm streaming 4K on 3 fixed devices say.
I'll see if any of the NowTV boxes will work for me (which are basically Roku's). To be honest, Roku don't seem interested or because of NowTV/Skys stake in them aren't allowed to be interested in the UK.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 15

I agree that wireless can be hit or miss, depending on interference. but the 5 GHz band is far less crowded than 2.4 GHz, and the .11ac protocol also offers improvement in overall operations. That's what I based my suggestion on. But if there's something else available to you with an Ethernet connection, by all means check it out. I too prefer devices hard-wired when possible, but sometimes WiFi is all you can hope for in certain situations. Good luck!  Smiley Very Happy
Dan
0 Kudos
Grand_Total
Level 7

Apple TV 4K ticks all the boxes except All 4 (4oD). I'm hoping that the developer may make an Apple TV app available soon.
Roku 3 (4200), now permanently back in it's box.
0 Kudos

A bit late but... The Streaming Stick+ does work with the ethernet adapter of the Chromecast Ultra if you use a micro-mini USB adapter. Unfortunately the Roku wifi antenna that is replaced also contains the receiver for the remote (which I guess is WifI direct) so the remote no longer works. You can still use the iOS/Android remote app though. I haven't tried the adapter for a regular chromecast that Google sells separately
0 Kudos
2pints
Level 7

Some of the Amazon Fire Tv products support ethernet adaptors https://www.amazon.co.uk/Amazon-Etherne ... B01LXP5TXI
You might be better off with Fire TV as opposed to Roku - unless your desperate for Now TV, Fire TV has almost everything that Roku offers, including  4oD but no Youtube
0 Kudos