Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mogle
Level 7

Turning itself off

My Roku box is turning itself off! After an episode, or if I pause it, it's just turns itself off! We have the square box that connects to the TV and internet. I have to unplug it, plug it back in, then it will restart the system.

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2\
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Turning itself off

@Mogle wrote:

My Roku box is turning itself off! After an episode, or if I pause it, it's just turns itself off! We have the square box that connects to the TV and internet. I have to unplug it, plug it back in, then it will restart the system.

"Square box" doesn't help much. Smiley Very Happy Need a model number.

Roku players don't have a "power off" function. If the screen is going black, it sounds like you're losing the HDMI handshake between the player and the TV. It's possible the HDMI cable is failing, the TV or Roku HDMI port have dust in them, or it could be a hardware failure of either of them. We need more information about the model Roku and TV. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
RokuTannerD
Level 19

Re: Turning itself off

@Mogle Thanks for the note here. Please visit Settings>System>System update>Check now and try performing a system update. Let us know if that helps resolve the issue. 

If not, please provide more details about the issue you are seeing. Which streaming channel are you watching when you see this issue occurring? What model of Roku device are you using? (Settings>System>About) 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos