Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jayzee1955
Level 7

Turn off Wifi to Roku Device

Am seeking way to turn off WiFi to Roku device overnight to save on data usage.  I know how to do it on my computer thru ATT, but wondered if it could be done on Roku.  I have unplugged device, but don't want to do that over and over.  I checked with the Bandwidth option, but that is not what I am talking about here.  Please advise.  It is all about data usage skyrocketing.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
makaiguy
Level 20

Re: Turn off Wifi to Roku Device

I assume you're concerned about falling asleep while it is streaming. If that's not your concern, then just get in the habit of returning to the Roku home screen when done watching -- the Home screen uses very nearly zero data. If you're really tight on data usage, don't use a Roku screen saver that needs to download currrent info (weather, sports scores, news headlings, etc.) although the data for this is minimal.

I know of no way to shut down the wifi other than killing the power to the Roku. To do this on a fixed schedule, you could power it via an inexpensive timer.
  • Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos