Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BJB
Level 7

Turn off Wifi-direct in Streaming Stick Plus

I am a huge Roku fan and well versed on what this is and why it is.

I also know on some devices like the 2 a menu item can turn it off. On others a secret menu can.

My issue is with a streaming stick+ that I control 100% of the time with the roku android app. Never with the remote. The batteries are not even in the remote.

The issue is the tv is in a weaker wifi spot and the roku wifi direct trounces my wifi as it of course grabs the same 2.4 channel,

Does the streaming stick plus have any way to turn wifi direct off?
Thanks,
BJB

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
trekkeriii
Level 10

Re: Turn off Wifi-direct in Streaming Stick Plus

You can't turn it off.
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
0 Kudos
BJB
Level 7

Thanks. Since I have multiple roku units around the house I could move around, what 4k capable Roku models do have the ability to turn it off? Other than the ultra, I can't fit that one..
Thanks,
BJB
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

"BJB" wrote:
Thanks. Since I have multiple roku units around the house I could move around, what 4k capable  Roku models do have the ability to turn it off?  Other than the ultra, I can't fit that one..
Thanks,
BJB

The Premiere (3920) is 4K capable, and comes with an IR remote. According to the Wiki info, it isn't WiFi Direct equipped, but that might be in error. But since it comes with an IR remote, the secret menu might allow disabling it, if it is there but hidden. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
BJB
Level 7

Thanks, I was excited until I realized that this wasn't a stick and therefore too big for my application. I will continue searching for a 4k stick with either menu or secret menu ability to turn off. I may just insert a manual power switch.

Roku is such an great product....with this one major flaw. Why don't they put I in every menu?
BJB
0 Kudos
trekkeriii
Level 10

"BJB" wrote:
Thanks, I was excited until I realized that this wasn't a stick and therefore too big for my application. I will continue searching for a 4k  stick with either menu or secret menu ability to turn off.  I may just insert a manual power switch.

Roku is such an great product....with this one major flaw.   Why don't they put I in every menu?
BJB

There is no way to turn off the Wi-Fi Direct on any Roku that has it. Been that way since the Roku 3 model. 
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
0 Kudos
BJB
Level 7

Thanks. I just bought an inline USB Male to female cable with an on/off switch. When not in use, it will be OFF! One reviewer said they used it for their roku and it worked fine.
BJB
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

"trekkeriii" wrote:
"BJB" wrote:
Thanks, I was excited until I realized that this wasn't a stick and therefore too big for my application. I will continue searching for a 4k  stick with either menu or secret menu ability to turn off.  I may just insert a manual power switch.

Roku is such an great product....with this one major flaw.   Why don't they put I in every menu?
BJB

There is no way to turn off the Wi-Fi Direct on any Roku that has it. Been that way since the Roku 3 model. 

And the Stick will only use WiFi for the remote, so it's required to keep it on anyway. There's no way to use an IR remote with a Roku Stick. And you can't depend on using a phone app because that depends on the Roku being connected to your wireless network. If you have any issues at all with your connection you can't control the Roku. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
BJB
Level 7

"atc98092" wrote:
"trekkeriii" wrote:
"BJB" wrote:

BJB

And the Stick will only use WiFi for the remote, so it's required to keep it on anyway. There's no way to use an IR remote with a Roku Stick. And you can't depend on using a phone app because that depends on the Roku being connected to your wireless network. If you have any issues at all with your connection you can't control the Roku. 

Thanks, I have never tried to use an IR remote. I should have clarified.....Of course I need wifi in when actively using the Roku. But the 95% of the time I am not using it, I don't need the app to work, its wifi messing up my network, or even it being powered up.

The switch I bought cuts the power great. However when turning the switch back on I randomly get a Roku low power warning . But once it goes away it boots up and plays as usual.

If anyone knows of a switch that doesn't use any power let me know. This is just a manual usb switch comm ou only used for raspberry PI's.

Good news is wifi is back to normal in my area where the roku was creating issues!

Thanks,
BJB
0 Kudos