Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dark_Penguin
Level 7

Trying to log a Roku 3 into my WLAN, but couldn't find the exclamation point anywhere in the onscreen keyboard.

We have a Roku 3 in the living room, and a Roku Stick in the master bedroom.  Owing to the fact that private listening has been disabled on Roku 3, I swapped the devices earlier today so that we could use private listening in the living room.  We don't need it in the bedroom.

So after I swapped the devices, the Stick worked fine in its new location and didn't need to be re-authenticated to the WLAN.  By contrast, the Roku 3, which had been Ethernet-cabled into the router in the living room, did need to be logged in to the network.  I started to do so, but when I got to where the wifi password has an exclamation point, there was no such character to be found on the screen! There was an onscreen keyboard mode button for special characters like the dollar sign, question mark, the exclamation point -- in fact, the the '!' was the first character shown on that button to indicate that's how to get to it on the keyboard.  But when I clicked on that button, there was nothing but currency symbols and some other characters which are so rarely used that I don't know what they are.  But no exclamation point!    Apparently, short of changing my wifi password and then reauthenticating every computer and other device we own, it's no longer possible to log the Roku 3 into our network.   Fortunately with the modem just on the other side of the TV, reconnecting the ethernet cable isn't a problem, and that circumvents the problem of logging in (as it should).

Has anyone else run into this problem?

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
renojim
Level 8

Re: Trying to log a Roku 3 into my WLAN, but couldn't find the exclamation point anywhere in the onscreen keyboard.

I think you have CAPS lock turned on (the box in the upper right with the upward pointing arrow). Turn that off and you'll see the !. They really should turn that off when you change between character sets.

-JT
0 Kudos
Dark_Penguin
Level 7

Re: Trying to log a Roku 3 into my WLAN, but couldn't find the exclamation point anywhere in the onscreen keyboard.

"renojim" wrote:
I think you have CAPS lock turned on (the box in the upper right with the upward pointing arrow).  Turn that off and you'll see the !.  They really should turn that off when you change between character sets.

-JT

I did try the shift lock key, but it didn't change the display, although there is the possibility that it carried over from the immediately preceding character in the password, which is a capital letter. So now I'm thinking perhaps I have to "downshift" the keyboard display after I type the capital letter and before I access the special characters.  I may have to look into that tomorrow if I can't log into my Roku account in order to set up the new streaming stick I just bought today.
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

"Dark Penguin" wrote:
"renojim" wrote:
I think you have CAPS lock turned on (the box in the upper right with the upward pointing arrow).  Turn that off and you'll see the !.  They really should turn that off when you change between character sets.

-JT

I did try the shift lock key, but it didn't change the display, although there is the possibility that it carried over from the immediately preceding character in the password, which is a capital letter. So now I'm thinking perhaps I have to "downshift" the keyboard display after I type the capital letter and before I access the special characters.  I may have to look into that tomorrow if I can't log into my Roku account in order to set up the new streaming stick I just bought today.

There is a Shift key in the top left, and a Shift Lock in the top right. If I use the Shift Lock, then go to the Character screen, I don't see the Exclamation Mark, and using the Shift key has no effect. But the Shift Lock key works fine.

I'm using Roku software version 8.0.1
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos