Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Iona-D
Level 9

Trouble Traveling With My Roku Streaming Stick

I have been experiencing trouble with my Roku Streaming Stick when out of my house & home WiFi network recently.  Here is what happened:

I like to take my Roku devices with me wherever I go.  One of my friend’s house is a favorite destination for Roku sharing.  I successfully used the same exact Roku stick over there both times, did the  Hotel/Dorm Connect option the first time there with absolutely no problems. 

Just before I took back to my friend’s house, I did do a complete manual update myself  (settings>system>system update) within my own home WiFi network and it worked just fine with no issues yesterday morning.  

My friend acquired an older plasma Pioneer Television  the Roku was used at his house.  He wanted to use the Roku stick with the Pioneer.  Yesterday evening,  he plugged it into the extension cord, the light flashes two times, later when he  tried to use it, it flashes two times and he logo appears, then it goes black.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions, or comments  on how to solve this problem?  He did mentioned offhand that  this particular television is a real big user of electricity if that helps.  Is that television's power overwhelming the Roku's signal in some way?  Would physical distance via some sort of a longer Extender might help?

Thank you all in advance!

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
jeffrok
Level 12

Re: Trouble Traveling With My Roku Streaming Stick

I'm guessing it's starting with an incompatible TV resolution. When the screen goes black, do button presses (such as Home) produce a beep noise?

If.so, the Roku is booting, but not to a resolution that the TV can handle..

Try booting the Roku stick on your working TV, set the resolution lower, to 720p instead of auto (if possible), and then boot it on the Pioneer.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
Iona-D
Level 9

I wanted to reply to this particular thread when the dust finally settled enough to experience the results of fixing the problem integrating the Roku Stick with the plasma television at a friend’s house.

Put it simply, it works!  I do admit I added some additional products to your helpful suggestions to make it so.  Along with turning down to 720p, I bought a  more powerful Streaming Stick Plus because of this review on Best Buy:

“……...I -From:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MQYPJ2F/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1Ultra Clarity Cables: 
 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MQYPJ2F/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/url:1...

SSID [/font][/color]settings (Settings>System>Advanced Systems Settings>Network Connection Reset) fr...

0 Kudos
Iona-D
Level 9

Thank you again, jeffrok!
0 Kudos