Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: To everyone having the same "suddenly no wifi" problem

Jump to solution

Nice, I can't control that stuff on mine. I would leave it on B/G/N, as that seems to work best for Roku devices. I would also try channel 6 or 11, as those are the three best channels to use on 2.4 GHz. I just checked mine, and it's set to channel 11 at 20 MHz channel width. All of those settings are locked for me, so I can't change any of them. But my Premiere 3920 sees and connects to it with those settings. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
bouton73
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Just tried the different channels, still nothing.

What is the life expectancy of a Roku? Reason for asking, back in 2019 I had the same thing happen with the Roku I was using then (I don't remember the model), tried EVERYTHING and then some but could never get it to connect again. I went out and bought a newer model (the one I have now) and it worked just fine.

The common thread between 2019 and now is that both units were about 3 yrs old when they 'quit'. In both cases, the Roku saw a lot of use as I stream even my 'regular' TV channels.

I know RoKus took a major price drop from when they first came out, maybe I'm finding out why?

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

Well, life expectancy for electronic devices can vary wildly. I have a Roku 2 XS in a drawer that still works 10 years later, but it's worthless to actually use for anything. My 3600 Stick is now approaching 6 years old, and my grandson uses it almost daily. My 4400 is over 6 years old, and my granddaughter uses it in her room. So I have a number of older devices that still work. I've also had an Insignia Roku TV that failed the day I brought it home, but the replacement is now 6 years old and working fine. 

I don't know which version of the Premiere you have. There's been several versions, first coming out in Oct 2016 and a couple of refreshed versions since then. Only the original version (model 4620/4630) had dual band WiFi (2.4 and 5 GHz). All newer versions are 2.4 GHz only. The Express 4K+ is currently on sale for $30, and it might simply be worth replacing the older model. The Express 4K+ comes with the WiFi Direct remote and dual band WiFi, so it can use the higher speed 5 GHz band.

Dan

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
bouton73
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Went ahead and bought a new Roku since my old one wouldn't even recognize my WiFi and while the new one sees my WiFi it STILL won't connect. 

Spent 20 minutes on the phone with Xfinity and (of course) they say the issue is Roku and not them because EVERYTHING ELSE in my apt works just fine, only the Roku won't connect.

I'm beyond pissed at this point............

tacotv

Jump to solution

I'm having a "low signal" issue with my Roku Premiere that started suddenly. Laptops and phones are all connected to the same wireless network and have strong signal. Video is coming through but is lower resolution than it was previously. I've moved the Roku device to a TV the next room from the router as well, but still get a "low signal" when connecting to network. Tried resetting router, tried clearing network settings and re-entering on the Roku, but still get the same issue.

0 Kudos
CharTurner
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

only recently, for about month, maybe 2 have I been having connectivity problems with my

Roku Premiere model 3920x purchased on 1/23/2021.

My Wifi mode 802.11 g,n

*All my other devices, my smarttv, my phone, and my Chromebook, are NOT dropping the connection, so the problem is not with my wireless router/internet connection, it's the Roku *  I'll get my Roku to connect to my wireless and internet by changing the wireless broadcast channel,  it will work for a few days then the same issue happens again.  I changed it back to auto,1 or 2 , restart and reset devices. It's a guessing game because no "fix" last for long. Then in a couple of days I'll turn on Roku and my device is "not connected.   I wish Roku would investigate the issue and provide a fix because this process is time consuming. Some days I just give up and accept that I won't be watching anything on my Roku device until I can devote the time to repeatedly unplug, reset, restart devices. 

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@CharTurner 

If you have a cable ISP (Xfinity/Comcast, Cox, or AT&T), try changing that g/n to b/g/n and you will likely see your issue resolved.

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
FMcDR
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Roku is very aware of the problem and refuse to do anything to fix it. They give the same cut and paste answers and take no responsibility for this despite it being proven again and again that it's their fault. I originally posted my complaint in January of 2021. It's now May 2022 and I've still got a broken Roku TV, and I've had a few posts complaining about them 'disappear' from these forums.

I now have to use an Amazon Firestick to get any connectivity whatsoever on my Roku TV I spent hundreds of dollars on.

My advice: Don't waste your breath fighting with them. They are a POS company who have no customer support, and don't care once they have your money. Go with another company.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@FMcDR 

Not to argue or downplay your frustration with Roku, but your previous postings indicated a problem with a RokuTV and a loss of wireless connectivity due to MAC address being all zeros.  When the MAC address is showing all zeros, indicates an internal wireless card issue/failure.

Roku supports/warranties only Roku devices.  RokuTVs are supported/warrantied by the actual TV manufacturer.  This really should be explained more clearly to users.  Unfortunately, unless you are handy with a solder iron, able to justify the expense of a TV repairmen, or are covered under warranty - not much can be done to resolve the issue short of fixing the NIC card/controller to restore wireless connection. (Unless the TV has an ethernet port - then should be able to establish a wired connection.)

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
FMcDR
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

@AvsGunnar  yeah I got that it was due to an internal problem. My frustration is that Roku knows full well about this problem and keeps selling tvs with the problem. Who manufactures it is irrelevant because it happens to many different types. It's a Roku design f up.  Also, I found it kind of odd that at the exact same time my tv went down tons of other makes and models all crapped out and had the exact same problem.  Also, all these no wifi all of a sudden problems had been already going on for years I discovered when I found the forums while looking for how to fix it.  I didn't completely lose it until I was basically talked down too and insulted by someone from Roku.