Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kde
Reel Rookie

Re: To everyone having the same "suddenly no wifi" problem

Jump to solution

I have had this problem with both my roku premier units. They work for a while then wont connect. All troubleshooting options exhausted. I had one unit replaced under warranty and now that one has failed. Roku support says they are not seeing this as a common problem but it has to be. 2 roku premiers purchased, same problem with both then one replaced under warranty and the same thing happens to that one. I feel  like It’s not being taken seriously by roku. It makes me upset. 

0 Kudos
dlj
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I have it right next to my router and premier barely works. I have firetv stick in garage that gets excellent WiFi signal from the same router. All my other WiFi devices works great. All but roku.

0 Kudos
Fred56

Jump to solution

Hj Danny    mod.# 3920RW-premier    Ser.#YH0004125738      Sof.Ver.9.4.0  build 4200-91 ok Danny whats the problem?   Fred56

0 Kudos
rcprice
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I just recently started having the same problem after successfully using my Roku without issues for several months. I have restarted my router and my Roku device a few times but still can't get reconnected. Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I am missing some of my favorite shows. My device details are at follows:

Model: 3900X - Roku Express

Serial number: YG00GX33975

Software version: 9.4.0 - build 4200-51

Thanks!

0 Kudos
mmortal03
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@Kde @dlj @Fred56 @rcprice Can you guys post the router model you are using, as well? A number of people here have found that their problem is router specific, so it might be possible to help you based on that, and it will also help everyone to know which routers are affected.

0 Kudos
rcprice
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

My router is the Verizon model G3100 (WiFi 6). That said, today my Roku is working just fine, so I'm not sure what the problem was before. I hope other people's Roku service  'miraculously' resolves itself too.

0 Kudos
JackN777
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Well my problem didn't start until a few months ago with an update to the Roku's I have. The problem has went away, and I'll tell you why here in a second.

I have two 3910 and one 3710 (all Roku Express+'s with RCA out for traditional TV connections)

I use a NetGear AC1200 (Nighthawk R6120) WiFi router I bought specifically for these, and it works well also with my Lenovo Laptop.

When I first installed all this stuff (coming from a wired Ethernet connection to a Roku IIxs that was no longer supported) everything worked fine for months and months.

Then one day the System was upgraded on all 3 units, and all 3 started giving me weak WiFi signal notices. Couldn't stream anything and hardly connect to the router, which was working perfectly fine with my Laptop with no issues at all still, except for 4 bars out of 5, and the laptop was 3 feet away from the Router.

So after reading all the complaints here, and the suggestions to try, I focused on my router first, and specifically the suggestions about forcing it to change channels for the 2.4 Ghz band.

I have no idea what the first channel setting was when I installed all this stuff, but the channel that was not working well in my set up was channel 10. After I power cycled the router a couple times I got it all to work well again. Channel 1 in my setup works really well.

I can't tell what channel the laptop reports (as of yet) and that may be 5 Ghz anyway, but the Roku's will tell you what channel they are on if you go to Settings/Network/About... It will show up in the list of info towards the bottom rows.

I had the problem show up again a couple weeks ago when we had a thunder storm knock our power out a couple times within a 2 hour period. I simply power cycled the router (turn it off for 5 seconds and then turn it back on) and it went to channel 1 from channel 10 just prior.

My router is set to auto, and the Roku's use channels 1 through 11. So I know that Channel 1 is a good choice should I ever need to force my router to use a specific channel.

I'm not sure about other routers, but I hope this helps someone here, because it IS frustrating when this happens.

Obviously this will not help anyone who cannot connect their Roku's to their routers at all if you can't change any settings in the router to begin with.

Cheers!

Jack

- Roku Express+ 3910X
- Roku Express+ 3910RW
- Roku Express+ 3710X
0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

The best 2.4 GHz channels to use are 1, 6 or 11. Those are the only three that don't overlap each other. I recommend not letting your router assign its channel automatically, but instead manually assign one of those three. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
Worst

Jump to solution

I have had this tv hooked and working great for years with great signal strength yet it won’t connect....  worst customer service ever !

JackN777
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

@rcprice wrote:

My router is the Verizon model G3100 (WiFi 6). That said, today my Roku is working just fine, so I'm not sure what the problem was before. I hope other people's Roku service  'miraculously' resolves itself too.

You might want to go to Settings/Network/About on your Roku while it is working great and see what WiFi channel it says you are on, for future reference. 🙂

- Roku Express+ 3910X
- Roku Express+ 3910RW
- Roku Express+ 3710X
0 Kudos