Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
artaftercurfew
Reel Rookie

Re: To everyone having the same "suddenly no wifi" problem

Jump to solution

So what is the solution to this problem? I have been using a Roku stick for about 6 months and have had no trouble with it. Today for no reason, it stops working and the low power screen comes up. Disconnected, unplugged, switched TVs etc. Still the same problem. I let it set for about a half hour (cursing all the time out of frustration I might add LOL) and when I finally got it to come back up it could not find the internet connection. So again I ask "what is the solution to this problem"?

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@artaftercurfew 

All Roku Stick models are dual channel WiFi, so they support both the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands. However, they (and all Roku devices) do not support every possible WiFi channel available. Channel availability varies by country, and sometimes even a location within a country. Roku only works on the channels that are available everywhere. So the first thing to check is if your router has changed channels on you. When they are set to auto-select, they can do that at any time without your knowing it. 

So, for the 2.4 GHz radio the channel must be between 1-11. Any higher will not be seen. On the 5 GHz radio, it will not see what are know as DFS channels. This is every channel starting at 49 and continuing to 148, so you need a channel outside of that range, either lower or higher. 

If you have the 2.4 GHz radio disabled (some people do that when they only use 5 GHz to reduce the RF bouncing around in the home), you might turn it back on to ensure your Roku WiFi radio is working properly. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
artaftercurfew
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I am very confused with this entire chat procedure. Why do I suddenly get a low power reading from my Roku device which totally locks me out of my ability to do anything. I could not connect to the internet, it would not find my network and now I have nothing. I have tried the Roku stick on a new TV with the same non results. Is there somebody please who can answer my question in plain English. I have done everything suggested in these threads and basically come back to the same place, nowhere! All my other devices connect fine, it's just the Roku devise which suddenly stopped working.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Maybe not so plain English, but here goes...

Depending on which Roku device you have (Express, Premiere, Ultra, Sticks, RokuTVs), they operate on radio frequencies.  There is a 2.4gz frequency (Express and Premiere, and older Rokus), and there is a 5gz frequency (Sticks, Ultras, RokuTVs).  The 5gz units can operate on either the 2.4gz or 5gz.  The 2.4gz units can only operate on the 2.4gz, never the 5gz.  

These frequencies are assigned to channels within the router.  This is why there is not a one size fits all fix.  The router has to be configured in order for the Roku to see and operate on the frequencies and channels that your router is configured to use/or is currently using.  Normally, the default settings of a router work just fine with Roku and your other wireless devices, other times you have to change these settings in the router itself.

Also, it gets confusing because mostly everyone just uses the term wifi and router and internet interchangeably so we are all speaking english, just not the same english.  Wifi is the wireless capability of the device(the signals), the router is the equipment assigning all these signals, and the modem is what is connecting you to the internet. Most modern "routers" are a combination router and modem in one, but again, not all.

These Rokus are doing little more than swapping radio and data signals so you can stream. A line of sight analogy...The Roku has to see your router, your router has to see the Roku.  If this fails, the modem will not send internet signals.  The internet step is the last step.  The Network has to be operating first before it is able to connect to the internet.

It gets a little more complicated when your ISP (internet provider) is controlling your router settings/preventing users from changing the necessary settings so your network can see Roku.  Yes, your internet will tell you it is operating properly "it is lightning fast".  It is, except it is not configured properly to see the Roku.  The Roku operates on certain channels and at certain frequencies. This is not unique to Roku, every wifi capable device operates on certain frequencies.

For Roku, the 2.4gz network is located between channels 1 and 11 and use b/g/n signals. N more so than the others.  For 5gz network, the network channels are 36-48 and 149-165.  Each of these have their own frequencies.  If your router (network) are not using these channels, it cannot see Roku.  If these channels are not configured properly, your router (network) will not see Roku.

Hopefully, helps clear some things up.  Some of these things, none of these things, may be applicable in the different situations presented above. It could also be your device is dying, your router is dying, your various cables are dying.  What fixes one person's problem may not necessarily fix yours but there are some standard, common troubleshooting steps you have to try before throwing hands up in the air and cursing the Roku.  It is, after all just a little black box of circuitry wrapped in plastic.

Oh yeah...I agree..Customer support at this time is a bit subpar, but if you share your fixes with the forum, then it does helps others with similar problem. Not everything can be blamed on the software and firmware...a lot of little things have to come together to make a streaming box work properly.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

mmortal03
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@AvsGunnar wrote:

Not everything can be blamed on the software and firmware...a lot of little things have to come together to make a streaming box work properly.

I agree with the majority of what you said in your post, because not everyone having a WiFi problem with their Roku device is due to the Roku software/firmware. A range of WiFi problems often get lumped together into the same threads. That said, there was clearly a regression in the Roku firmware a number of months ago that broke compatibility for many people as it pertains to their routers allowing 802.11b legacy rates under the hood, and we've gotten no indication that Roku is looking to fix this, no explanation on why there was a need to break it in the first place, nor is there a fix that people who don't run custom router firmware can apply other than take their chances with replacing their router with a different model. This comes across as a clear failing on Roku's part, as people's Roku devices worked just fine with their routers prior to the change, then stopped immediately afterwards, with no way for them to roll back the firmware to correct the problem. Just a really bad look on Roku's part.

0 Kudos
denise4

Jump to solution

How do I PM you?

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@denise4

Thanks for the inquiry.

For more information about how to send a private message (PM), visit our Community post here: Welcome to the Community

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Matildey5

Jump to solution

I start having this issue about a week ago, I did all recomended as Restart your router, Your Roku player, unplugging my device, etc. and eventually worked, now yesterday March 29, happend again, but the solution  didn't work this time, I have 24 hrs with Roku not connecting to wi fi. What can I do?

Thanks

Matilde

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@Matildey5

Thanks for the post.

Can you please provide more information about the issue you are experiencing? What Roku model device are you using? Are you able to connect your Roku device to an alternate wireless network, such as a mobile hotspot?

With more information we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Kde
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I have had the same problem with 2 roku premieres. 1 was replaced and even the replacement started doing the same thing, now warranty is up. Roku support says they are not seeing this problem with other customers.  It’s not possible, there is definitely a problem. 

0 Kudos