Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JackN777
Streaming Star

Re: To everyone having the same "suddenly no wifi" problem

Jump to solution

@dgg9 wrote:

There’s clearly a raging pandemic of wireless problems

Yep It's that Roku-19 WiFi strain.

- Roku Express+ 3910X
- Roku Express+ 3910RW
- Roku Express+ 3710X
0 Kudos
HBritton2017
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Ok I tried connecting to a hotspot and it works but then what? I disconnected and tried again and it still didn’t find our WiFi. What else do I have to do to see if this trick works?But how does it find all the neighbors? Every single WiFi network except the one it’s connected to for the last year. I’m so confused and annoyed! 

0 Kudos
mmortal03
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@HBritton2017 wrote:

Ok I tried connecting to a hotspot and it works but then what? I disconnected and tried again and it still didn’t find our WiFi. What else do I have to do to see if this trick works?But how does it find all the neighbors? Every single WiFi network except the one it’s connected to for the last year. I’m so confused and annoyed! 

Unless Roku actually pushes out a fix to this bug that you could then install while connected to the hotspot, then all connecting to the hotspot does is prove that there's nothing physically wrong with your Roku, and that the problem lies in Roku's most recent firmware. For the record, what is your wireless router make and model?

0 Kudos
HBritton2017
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I honestly don’t know....it’s Netgear and less than a year old. According to my husband it’s a good higher end one. 🤷🏼‍♀️ Always worked just fine until one moment it just decided to stop. 😫 So this literally means we can’t use our TV anymore? We can’t just go buy a new one. This is crazy to me...especially that there is no customer support. If a problem is their fault and can’t be fixed then we should all be getting refunds. ☹️

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@HBritton2017, if your TV is seeing every Wi-Fi but yours, the most likely reasons are that your router is set to a channel that Roku doesn't support or it's using OpenWRT or something similar and needs to be updated or reconfigured.  Find out what Wi-Fi channel your router is using.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
HBritton2017
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Ok I googled and still don’t know how to find out what WiFi channel it’s on. Lol I don’t see why anything would have suddenly changed, we haven’t messed with anything at all. 😕

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

Most WiFi routers are set to automatically assign a WiFi channel, and it can also change the channel if it determines that it is getting interference. But they don't always choose well, and some routers can use channels that Roku devices don't support. For the 2.4 GHz band, Roku devices only work on channels 1-11. 

Every router manufacturer will have their configuration settings buried in a different location. Most often it is listed under a radio tab, or something similar. If you could look up the make/model number of your WiFi router, we could look for a manual and try to assist. 

Dan

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
HBritton2017
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Ok I found it and it says 60. How do I change it? And how the heck did it change in the first place when I’ve been using it just fine forever 🤦🏼‍♀️

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

60 is a 5 GHz channel, not the 2.4 GHz band. I can't recall if you said what Roku player you have. Many Roku players are only single band, and don't support 5 GHz. The 2.4 GHz channel is the one you need to determine. 

Dan

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
HBritton2017
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Oh my gosh I fixed it! I don’t know what the heck happened but I downloaded the Netgear app and went to try and connect and it wouldn’t connect to our WiFi either! But I kept seeing “Netgear5G” pop up and even though that’s not the name of our network I tried logging into it with the password on the bottom of our router and somehow it worked! So that network was popping up on our Roku TV too and I signed into it and it works now. It’s like our network disappeared and was replaced with this one with a different name. 🤷🏼‍♀️

0 Kudos