Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bguiles

Re: To everyone having the same "suddenly no wifi" problem

Jump to solution

I'm sure this has been mentioned but here's my $0.02.

I have a Sharp Roku-enabled TV that suddenly stopped connecting to WiFi a few weeks ago.

For those trolling, no it's not my network or router. The TV is about 18" from my router, does not recognize any WiFi network, and its MAC address is all 0's, suggesting the issue is that the main CPU cannot connect to its own internal WiFi module. The issue is most likely in the firmware, and the result of a recent software update.

Luckily for me, the Sharp TV has an ethernet port. Using this, I am able to use the TV and all the Roku channels without WiFi. 

I'm still pissed that I dropped hundreds of dollars on a TV that barely works, but for those with devices that have ethernet ports, I thought I'd provide a workable solution that you may be able to use until the issue is patched.

Best of luck, y'all.

0 Kudos
RJBaptist
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Put me in this boat too... Roku Premier+.... did a reset on it to try to fix a remote problem and now I can't connect.  Network is fine.... broadcasting 2.4; everything else working with 'excellent' signal strength; plenty of bandwidth; has been working fine for months - then nada.

Makes my decision easy to NOT buy the ROKU TV I was looking at.  At least on a NON-ROKU TV I still retain the choice on pulling the device out and can move to whatever platform I want if Roku can't figure it out. Hoping Roku does the right thing here and fixes/replaces these now 'boat anchor' units.....

0 Kudos
tonyrom18
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I have 3 ruko and they all keep dropping internet service when powered off. Its annoying and the only response we get is try all this techinical stuff only to conclude its the ruko tv itself.

0 Kudos
reneea

Jump to solution

Dear Danny R,

My roku, too, has spontaneously stopped connecting to the internet despite it acknowledging that the internet is working with the two green checkmarks.

I thought re-introducing the unit to the account might help, so I deleted the device but because it won't connect to the internet, I can't get the code to continue.

the model number of the unit is:  4200X

the serial number from the back of the unit is: 4124DL018931

[personal information removed]

I hope you can help me. Thanks so much

Renee Ashley

0 Kudos
vanish32
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

@RokuDanny-R How is it standard troubleshooting for an end user to change Router channels? Most people might not even know what wifi channels are, leave alone how to change them. The best thing for Roku would be to acknowledge the bug and announce a date for the fix, plain and simple.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@vanish32 wrote:

@RokuDanny-R How is it standard troubleshooting for an end user to change Router channels? Most people might not even know what wifi channels are, leave alone how to change them. The best thing for Roku would be to acknowledge the bug and announce a date for the fix, plain and simple.

Since almost all Roku devices are WiFi only, it won't matter if they do have a fix if you can't get the device back on the network. 

You have a point about most people not knowing how WiFi works. In most cases, the majority or users never need to know that stuff. But I have walked people through changing their WiFi channel before simply because something close to them began interfering with the channel they were using. Most routers, once they choose a channel to use, never change that channel if something nearby suddenly comes on the air.

So it is a valid troubleshooting tool, but one that likely needs some hand holding to accomplish. And from a liability standpoint, Roku may not allow their employees to offer assistance to configure a non-Roku device. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
tsherr57

Jump to solution

I have 2 other units 1 streaming stick 1080 and a4k streaming stick no issues same network in house different rooms. this just started telling me error 017.0 .just got this as an upgrade in April worked fine till tonight although it had been locking up lately. my house is all 2.4gz noticed hot to touch . moved my 2 year opld sick to that room works fine

0 Kudos
tsherr57

Jump to solution

sorry Danny for not including my info [personal information removed] device c53959742685 model#3910rw-roku express+. serial # YG009F742685. per my having 2.4 and moving device to other rooms. I have 2 other devices a streaming stick and 4k stick both are fine just the express telling me no wireless.and poor options  thanks

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@tonyrom18 

Thanks for the post.

Is your device plugged into the TV USB port or is it plugged into a wall outlet with the provided cable and adapter? We would recommend the latter, as powering through the TV USB port would cause the device to be powered down when you turn your TV off. 

For more information, visit our Support page here: Why does my Roku® streaming player restart every time I turn on my TV?

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@reneea 

Thanks for the post.

I have passed along your concerns to our Support team. They will follow up and assist you.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos