Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: To everyone having the same "suddenly no wifi" problem

Jump to solution

@dgg9 wrote:

This doesn't make sense.  If hundreds of Roku units suddenly can't see WiFi from routers, then the fact that your *phone* can connect to the Roku doesn't falsify the problem of router-roku.  Also, using your smart phone to source countless GB a week to your TV is not a financial long term solution, and certainly not what most people will sign up for.

Yes, it's a bizarre issue. But once the hotspot is used and the Roku updated, it should then connect to the primary home connection again and be fine. It makes no sense, but it's worked for many users. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Bobbyclivej
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

In my opinion it looks like they're trying to phase out older devices and force us to upgrade 

dgg9
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Yes, it's a bizarre issue. But once the hotspot is used and the Roku updated, it should then connect to the primary home connection again and be fine. It makes no sense, but it's worked for many users. 

Ok, so we're agreed the problem is with a recent Roku software update; otherwise, why is are so many units failing suddenly and why is a SECOND update going to fix it?

That means the next steps are:
1. Roku figures out what's happening.
2. Roku communicates to customers that they all need to set up the hotspot and absorb the update.
3. But this means Roku has to actually start communicating here on this forum.  We'll see if that happens.

atc98092

Jump to solution

@dgg9 wrote:

Ok, so we're agreed the problem is with a recent Roku software update; otherwise, why is are so many units failing suddenly and why is a SECOND update going to fix it?

That means the next steps are:
1. Roku figures out what's happening.
2. Roku communicates to customers that they all need to set up the hotspot and absorb the update.
3. But this means Roku has to actually start communicating here on this forum.  We'll see if that happens.

Actually, this little trick has worked for a long time. It's not something specific to a recent update. Why it works, I have no idea. Smiley Frustrated

Dan

0 Kudos
dgg9
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Actually, this little trick has worked for a long time. It's not something specific to a recent update. Why it works, I have no idea.

I wish the Roku bots that keep posting the same "reboot the router!" over and over, but never responding to questions, would add that to their post.

Because I suspect we're bumping up against another reality.  This isn't some $30k classic car where I need to scour the internet to solve an obscure problem in order to save my investment.  This is a $40 consumer commodity, and I've already spent an hour screwing around on the internet on this forum; and now I'm being asked to spend more time using my phone to salvage it.  At what point do people here say "screw this" and buy a different $40 commodity instead, say a fire stick?

rrh
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I mistyped--I meant is "consistent" with the theory and using my phone as a hotspot is not at all sustainable. I agree completely on what Roku should do in response to this and hope they will because I don't want to do anymore to support Amazon than I already do.

Jump to solution

How do I do that

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@Shelby_starr wrote:

How do I do that

Do what, exactly? If you mean use a smartphone hotspot, that is something that can be enabled in the phone settings, assuming your provider offers it. Then you connect your Roku to that wireless connection instead of your home network. Run the update, and then connect back to your home network and disable the phone hotspot.

Dan

0 Kudos
Bobbyclivej
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Im curious on how to? Cause when i connected to my wifi by putting my box about a foot away from my router there wasn't an update

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@Bobbyclivej wrote:

Im curious on how to? Cause when i connected to my wifi by putting my box about a foot away from my router there wasn't an update

In that case, it appears you are connected to your WiFi, in which case there's no need to use an alternate connection. And as you note, your Roku is fully updated. 

Dan

0 Kudos