Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
justkate115
Level 7

Tired of my Roku not connecting to the wireless

For the last month I have been having an issue with my Roku not reconnecting to the wireless.   When the internet goes out for a minute or two, the roku stops working understandably.  However, when the internet comes back on the roku will not reconnect to the wireless.  We reset everything, unplug and reconnect everything, restart the roku over and over and over.   Sometimes it is out for hours and sometimes its a whole day.   Everything else that is set to a wireless connection in my house works except the roku.  Which leads me to believe its the actual device and not anything else.   It's not even a year old.   I don't understand what is happening.  

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3\
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Tired of my Roku not connecting to the wireless

@justkate115 

If you post your problem Roku device model number(s), your router model number and your ISP (internet provider), can run you through some settings that you can verify to make sure your network is configured properly to work with your Roku.

For many, people just leave their routers in an automatic mode (automatic settings), and these sometimes are not ideal for Roku devices and disconnections keep occuring until they automatically come around again to a setting that Roku likes and uses.  Doing some simple manual settings inside your router should give you better results.

Please include any error messages you are seeing on screen as well (14.30, etc).

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660x, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941
0 Kudos
justkate115
Level 7

Roku is a roku premier
Router DPC3941T ISP is comcast/xfinity

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@justkate115 

Currently, there is a known problem in the Community with the latest Xfinity/Comcast router firmware update that is affecting 2.4ghz band devices like your Roku Premier.  The fix is to change the Mode/Protocol setting to b/g/n from its current state of g/n.

Provided pics below as reference.  Just use the Xfi app or use a web browser connected to your network and type in 10.0.0.1 in your address bar to login to your router.  If you haven't changed the default login credentials, your admin=admin, and your password-password.

Then look on left of Screen for Gateway selection. From there click/navigate to Gateway...Connection...Wifi. Then select Edit on your 2.4ghz Frequency Band. From there a screen should appear with various Wireless Configuration Settings. This is the screen where you will need to verify that your 2.4ghz band is Enabled and the 2.4ghz SSID (network name) is Broadcasting, and where you switch your Mode from g/n to b/g/n. After verifying and making changes, press SAVE SETTINGS, and then restart both your router and your Roku device.

Normally, would also suggest switching the "Channel Selection" from "Auto" to Manual, and then assigning either 1, 6, or 11, but in this instance, the above Mode setting issue is your likely culprit and not a congestion/interference issue.

Feel free to post back with an update or if you need more help.

Click on images to enlarge...

1 - Login/Gateway1 - Login/Gateway2- Edit 2.4gz band2- Edit 2.4gz band3- Verify Settings3- Verify Settings4- Change Mode4- Change Mode

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660x, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941
0 Kudos