Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ephophex
Level 7

Tips for Roku App and Asus Router Connection Problems

I'd had a wired Roku 2 for years, and the official remote app had always worked flawlessly. When i added a Roku Express, however, the app did not play nicely with it all, in that it would connect only intermittently. I saw the same behavior on the iOS and Android versions. The app would often fail to see the Express at all, even after several minutes of searching. After much trial and error, I found the problem:

Wireless=>Professional=>Airtime Fairness should be disabled for 2.4GHz (it's enabled by default).

I disabled it only for 2.4GHz.  My router is an RT-AC3100, firmware 3.0.0.4.384_45708

Since making this change, the app has been rock-solid reliable on both OSs, and connects every time. For the record, I found the following common settings have no effect:

• Smart Connect - I have it enabled. I've verified that there's no problem when mobile devices are on 5GHz, and Roku Express is on 2.4GHz (both have the same SSID)

• Roaming Assistant - I have it disabled, simply because I have no other access point; but it worked just fine with it enabled

As part of my troubleshooting, I at one point gave the Roku a static IP. This alone did not solve the problem; but I left it static even after finding the Airtime Fairness issue. YMMV.

Good luck!

Labels (2)
0 Kudos