Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Txreilly
Level 8

Re: The Roku can't "see" my wireless network

I am having the same problem.  I don't see any solutions on the community board.  I purchased 3 rokus and hooked up two yesterday.  They were both working.  I downloaded the Roku App and it worked on one device.  Now neither work AND and a third older one stopped working as well.  None of them can find the network and even trying to manually input doesn't work.  I am wondering if the app caused the problem.  Hmm. 

0 Kudos
RTG2020
Level 7

Just bought this Hisense tv today and it cannot find my existing wifi network provided by my landlord, there is no option for wifi net work on the menu. called a Hisense tech to help, he said the tv needs to be updated, and transfered me to Roku support, and message said to go on this website.

0 Kudos
pschnob
Level 7

Suddenly after 2.5yrs my TCL Roku TV can no longer see my SSID (sees others but not mine).  I've power cycled TV and router.  Verified SSID is broadcasting but also tried connecting via 'private network'.  Other devices in house have no issue seeing SSID and connecting.  Tried changing wifi channel, SSID and encryption from WPA to WEP to none but all made no difference.  Unplugged TV power for a  while, no change.  Performed factory reset on TV, no change.  Roku sent an email saying they'd performed an update (rare to get an email) but i can't imagine how an update would allow the TV to see other SSIDs but not mine...anyway that's what seems to have happened and w/o an ethernet input the TV is pretty useless.  Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
hutchny
Level 7

If you have Openwrt on your router then uncheck the setting "allow legacy 802.11b rates" under the 2.4GHz radio advanced settings then save and apply.

0 Kudos
pschnob
Level 7

I do not have Openwrt but something like that makes a lot of sense, ie Roku issued some update that prevents it from working with legacy routers (it is ~2007 or so) even though everything else in my home still does.

0 Kudos
mmortal03
Level 9

This thread was started over 10 years ago! Holy thread resurrection, Batman!

0 Kudos
Ariel83383
Level 9

Did you ever find a solution? Having the same problem for a few days nothing is working 

0 Kudos
pschnob
Level 7

The best I can make of the **bleep**uation is that Roku issued an update that no longer supports older wifi routers.  since other devices could see and connect/work it's not the router and since the TV can see/connect/work with a newer wifi/router it's not the TV...so it's 'just' a compatibility issue.  Since there's nothing I could do to alter Roku's programming nor upgrade my router (updates no longer offered) there was nothing to do but switch to using a newer router.  annoying but that's life i guess..

0 Kudos
mmortal03
Level 9

@pschnob wrote:

The best I can make of the **bleep**uation is that Roku issued an update that no longer supports older wifi routers.  since other devices could see and connect/work it's not the router and since the TV can see/connect/work with a newer wifi/router it's not the TV...so it's 'just' a compatibility issue.  Since there's nothing I could do to alter Roku's programming nor upgrade my router (updates no longer offered) there was nothing to do but switch to using a newer router.  annoying but that's life i guess..

Even if it had to do with older wifi routers, which I don't even know that that's the best description, it should still be considered a bug in the Roku software because it practically has nothing to do with performance, and all it does is break compatibility.

0 Kudos
pschnob
Level 7

I certainly don't disagree.  it's all part of our throw away culture i guess.   technology changes at such a pace that older protocols / systems are only supported for a period of time.  my 2006 router worked for 14 years.  since it's not a security issue (problem was the same with or without wifi security (WEP/WPA) active) i don't see any reason not to support the old communication protocols but on the other hand if i took good care of my router and it lasted 20-30 years should they still support it then?...ideally yes but supporting older protocols does take extra programming / memory and /could/ be a security vulnerability so i can see a case for not supporting older protocols...  wasted a good 3 days of my life fighting this (to no avail) so i feel your pain / agita.  if you can get roku to fix it that'd be great!

0 Kudos