Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
cjknapp
Level 8

Re: The Roku can't "see" my wireless network

I am having a similar problem. I cam home today and the player was just frozen on the screensaver, so I unplugged it for a few seconds and plugged it back in. Then I only had 3 of my icons, so checked the network setup, and found that it wasn't connected to my network and couldn't "see" any networks when searching for it (even though my laptop can see several with good signal strength in my building). I tried power cycling it again, and I tried a soft reset, and I even tried a factory reset but it still can't find any wireless networks at all. It sounds like the internal wireless adapter is toast. Anyone else have an idea?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
MajorD
Level 7

I have the same problem with my Roku. I have the original device and I can no longer see any wireless network. Its like the portion of the firmware is corrupt. I've power cycling and resetting the device but the Roku will not see any wireless network. Anyone know how to re-apply the firmware?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
renojim
Level 13

Go into settings and then player info. If your wireless MAC address is all 0's, you have a known hardware failure. Contact customer service and they may replace it for you. If that's not the problem, make sure you reboot your router and/or cable/DSL modem and try again.

-JT
0 Kudos
Highlighted
cjknapp
Level 8

Good advice. I figured I was out of luck because the unit was over a year old and I didn't even buy it originally (I got it from a friend), but I put in a support ticket at the Roku website, and they told me to call the customer support number, and they're going to replace it for me for free. There's something to say for a company that will do that for you. 8-)
Highlighted
jafi
Level 7

Lovely - I just submitted a support request. My power supply died - I spent $15 on a new one from Roku that just arrived. Plugged it in the box boots but now can't see any wireless networks. It worked great before. The wireless MAC is all zero's. I've rebooted the router, the Roku, done the reset and no luck.

Guess I'll be calling them in the morning - to at least try and return the power supply if they won't replace the box.

Does that mean I have to reauthorize all the additional channels I've set up? That's a pain. There should be an online backup to avoid that down the road....

Update: Haven't had time to mess with this much till today. After some combination of router reboots, being unplugged, soft reboots and factory resets it is seeing/connecting/streaming via wireless again. No idea what the magic trick was.
Crossing fingers there's no future issues.

Wish there were a way to back up all the channel info before the factory reset though - like in the Roku account for activation....
0 Kudos
Highlighted
ttmorris
Level 7

I had the same problem with the Roku not recognizing my network and the screen being blank on the Wireless Network screen. Tried soft reset several times by unplugging it in the back and finally tried the hard reset in the Settings channel. None of these worked for me and I called customer support as suggested and they are sending me a replacement even though I have had the box for over a year. I didn't know I could love Roku more than I already did! That's great customer service! Definitely worth taking a few minutes out of my day and giving them a call.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
jpoletti
Level 7

I had this same problem today. I couldn't connect wirelessly anymore. The MAC address was all zeros for wireless, but had what looked like a valid MAC address for the wired network. I connected "(wired") my roku to my router and restored from factory settings. When the roku came up, it automatically downloaded the latest software. When the roku reset itself to apply the software, I unplugged it from my wired connection. When the Roku came back up, it was able to "see" my wireless network again and I was able to connect.

I'm guessing that I could have just downloaded the latest software when I connected the roku to my wired network, and didn't need the restore from factory settings.

Jon
0 Kudos
Highlighted
ikemajohn
Level 7

Jon you nailed it, thanks very much.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
asmgx
Level 7

more than 8 years and problem still exist !!!!!

That is what we call, crappy quality
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Leslie333
Level 8

I'm having the same problem. Just stopped showing networks. I have 2 actually and they're connected to the same account. If I reset the one, will the other be wiped clean as well?
0 Kudos