Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

The Roku can't "see" my wireless network

I've tried resetting the hardware and everything. When I select "wireless" from the menu where you set up the internet connection, my wireless network doesn't show up. You know, where it says "select your network from this list". It's just blank. It worked fine before. Our PS3 and laptop have no problems with it.

What's going on with this thing?

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
19 Replies
techn0lizard
Level 7

Re: The Roku can't "see" my wireless network

Make sure that your wireless router has ssid broadcast to "on". I had shut mine down on a whim and had problems with a few things (even though they were already connected to the network). There are some things that will connect without it (just give it a network name and key and your good), but I'm guessing that either your router has it shut off by default, or you switched it off.

Even after you turn it on, it may be necessary to power cycle the router and roku.
Very funny Scotty now beam down my pants!!!!
0 Kudos
BoloMKXXVIII
Level 7

I have my SSID turned off and my Roku is connected wirelessly. So is my Chumby by the way. That should not be the problem, but it doesn't hurt to check.
The NSA is the largest criminal organization in the United States.
0 Kudos

My SSID is on. Any other ideas? Oh and thanks for the help, man.
0 Kudos
wxkeith
Level 7

Do you see the option to enter your SSID manually ("not shown")?

My Roku stopped working on wireless almost two weeks ago and the wireless MAC address is showing up as "00:00:00:00:00:00" in the player info screen and "not shown" isn't showing up when I try to set the box up on wireless. The box just crashes if I hit any buttons while I'm on the wireless setup screen. Something went haywire with the wireless in my unit, so I'm trying to work through this with customer service.
0 Kudos

It worked now. And here's the thing--- I didn't do anything. It just decided to work today.

I hope they make Roku's that behave better in the future. But if this one goes I may search for a completely different Netflix device instead.
0 Kudos

Oh the stupid thing's doing it again. We had a power outage and now it's all confused again. I need a generator on standby just for the roku. Anyway the "not shown" option never shows up on the list. Nothing does. There's nothing one can do at that screen other than push "up". aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarg.
0 Kudos
microlady
Level 7

One time I had this problem and turning on my SSID fixed it.

One time Nothing was seen and I was going nuts when a great tech support gal told me to try one simple thing.....unplug my Roku box and let IT reset. My remote wasn't working, etc etc.
Well, that worked for me. You might try it and see what happens.

Good Luck
Original Roku Model N1000,bought 2008 (2014 still works perfectly)
2014 new owner of Roku 3500 (HDMI) streaming stick
2016 new owner of Roku 3600 (HDMI) streaming stick
0 Kudos
jonmadison
Level 7

happened to me as well after a power outage. Did a factory reset, and all is well.

except i had to re-link the roku account again.

currently it's saying "synchronizing with account", so hopefully i don't have to re-link all my channel store services!

(update) -- no. looks like i have to re-link my services. ugh.
0 Kudos
kc8pql
Level 7

"jonmadison" wrote:
happened to me as well after a power outage. Did a factory reset, and all is well.

except i had to re-link the roku account again.

currently it's saying "synchronizing with account", so hopefully i don't have to re-link all my channel store services!

(update) -- no. looks like i have to re-link my services. ugh.

When you do a hard (factory) reset, it returns the box to factory conditions, so you start over and link everything from scratch. Unplugging the box or momentarily pushing the reset button does a soft reset and reboots the box, and retains all your settings and links. Do a soft reset first. If that doesn't help, then do a factory reset.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R
0 Kudos