Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
thedge
Level 7

Tech support with Bit Rate changes

Im having issues with roku using most of my data. Tech support at my Internet Co said i need to have roku change the Bitrate to 3.5. I called a number for roku support and called. The guy said i need to go buy a google play card for 50.00 and call him back on his direct line so he can fix the problem, then he will reimburse me the 50.00 onto my Direct Express card. This sounds suspicious to me... Why do i need to go buy a google play card??? Any help here would be appreciated

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1\
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Tech support with Bit Rate changes

Some of the sites that search engines report when you try to look up Roku support or similar may not be legitimate Roku sites.  It sounds like you got hooked up with a bogus one masquerading as a legit Roku site.  Roku would have zero reason to have you buy a Google Play card, and certainly not to reimburse you for one.

Some suggestions for limiting the amount of downloaded data you use on Roku:

Return your Roku to its home screen when done viewing.  If you just turn your tv off, the Roku keeps running in the background.

On any channel that gives you the option, turn off any feature that auto-loads the next program.

Turn on the Roku "Bandwidth saver" function.  This kicks in when the Roku has received no user input in four hours. It asks if you are still watching, and if it receives no response, it exits the current stream and returns the Roku to its home page.  You can turn this feature on and off via Settings > Network > Bandwidth saver.  Note that some individual channels may have a similar feature.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking " Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos