Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RCM315
Level 7

Taking longer than usual to connect to the network

We have a total of 5 TVs each with a Roku stick in our house and recently 2 of them are taking a longer than normal amount of time to connect to WiFi when we turn on those TVs. They used to connect within 10 or 15 seconds but now it can take 2 - 3 minutes to connect. The strange thing is these are the 2 closest TVs to the wireless router so I doubt signal strength is the issue. Do you have any tips for troubleshooting this issue?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Taking longer than usual to connect to the network

One possibility is outside interference with your wifi signal.  Perhaps a neighbor has started up a new router, or changed the channel he's using to the same one you're using.  If those two slow-linking sets are the nearest ones to your neighbor that could explain why they're the ones affected.

Try changing your router's channel assignment to a different channel to see if it makes any difference.  You may need to experiment with different channels to see which gives the best result.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
Note: I am not a Roku employee, just a user like you.
0 Kudos
wxhaynes
Level 7

i have been having the exact same issue. was not alwats this way. i have had no change regarding my wifi and this issue has not presented itsself in any of my other devices so this issue is certainly on roku's end.

0 Kudos
Cjamesssss
Level 7

Me too, and it recently started (maybe 2 months ago). I wonder if Roku set an updated software and it cause the TVs to slow down dramatically. I have had 6 sharp smart TVs with built in roku, and after this I will no longer be purchasing any tv with built in roku.

0 Kudos