Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RCM315

Taking longer than usual to connect to the network

We have a total of 5 TVs each with a Roku stick in our house and recently 2 of them are taking a longer than normal amount of time to connect to WiFi when we turn on those TVs. They used to connect within 10 or 15 seconds but now it can take 2 - 3 minutes to connect. The strange thing is these are the 2 closest TVs to the wireless router so I doubt signal strength is the issue. Do you have any tips for troubleshooting this issue?

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Taking longer than usual to connect to the network

One possibility is outside interference with your wifi signal.  Perhaps a neighbor has started up a new router, or changed the channel he's using to the same one you're using.  If those two slow-linking sets are the nearest ones to your neighbor that could explain why they're the ones affected.

Try changing your router's channel assignment to a different channel to see if it makes any difference.  You may need to experiment with different channels to see which gives the best result.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
wxhaynes

i have been having the exact same issue. was not alwats this way. i have had no change regarding my wifi and this issue has not presented itsself in any of my other devices so this issue is certainly on roku's end.

0 Kudos
Cjamesssss

Me too, and it recently started (maybe 2 months ago). I wonder if Roku set an updated software and it cause the TVs to slow down dramatically. I have had 6 sharp smart TVs with built in roku, and after this I will no longer be purchasing any tv with built in roku.

0 Kudos
ws6chad
Channel Surfer

I have a dual boot system, Windows 7 and Windows 10 and in Windows 7 the media player connects immediately but in Windows 10 it takes about 5 minutes of sitting there and waiting. It sticks on "connecting to a DLNA media server or USB device"..  so it is not a Wi-Fi problem because my Wi-Fi is the same on both systems. It's purely a Windows 10 problem I think. My television is a TCL 55 inch Roku. But I have not figured out what the problem is yet. But I'm sure it's Windows 10 because there are other problems with Windows 10 like USB and restarting and shutting down it doesn't always work at all. Whatever it is the communication between Windows 10 and in my Roku TV doesn't work very well it could be Roku also who knows

0 Kudos