Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV connected to Internet but Roku will not connect at speed to run roku apps

I have a Samsung Smart TV that Connects OK to the internet. However my roku Express will not connect orif it does its at a speed to slow to stream Netflix,, Paramoimt etc.  My ISP seems to think it is either the ROKU or my modem.  any sugestions.  The Roku iless than two months old.

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: TV connected to Internet but Roku will not connect at speed to run roku apps

@blairsal3556 

The Roku Express operates on the 2.4 GHz band only. 802.11 b/g/n

Some ISPs have changed those settings to g/n which will cause connectivity issues with Roku devices on that band.

Check your wireless router settings and see if it's b/g/n or g/n (or something else) on the 2.4 GHz band. Ignore any 5 GHz settings, as the Roku Express can't utilize that.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: TV connected to Internet but Roku will not connect at speed to run roku apps

@blairsal3556-

Also, if your experience varies throughout the day, it could be that the wifi channel your router is using in the 2.4 GHz wifi band is receiving interference.  This could vary from time to time depending on activity from any nearby routers causing varying degrees of interference.  You might benefit from changing your router to use a different channel.

When connecting in the 2.4 GHz wifi band, all Rokus support channels 1-11.  The preferred channels are 1, 6, and 11 as these do not overlap each other in frequency, so I'd start by trying these, although depending on which channels your neighbors are using you may find one of the other channels gives better results.  You also may be able to reduce congestion by setting your router to use 20 MHz channel bandwidth rather than 40 to reduce channel overlap.

I use a wifi app on my phone that can show me the congestion on each wifi channel, allowing me to choose a less congested one.  I check this periodically as this situation can change when neighbors come and go and/or reconfigure their routers.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X