Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
magnus523
Level 7

Suddenly, TWO Roku units will not make wireless connection

Jump to solution

Of course, I've restarted router etc. No help.

I have gone to the "secret menus" and disabled network pings; then enabled it again; then disabled it again. No help.

I have done a factory reset. No help.

I would think I had a dead unit, except that two units are affected. I'm really out of ideas. Hate to throw these out, but there it is. Any ideas?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AvsGunnar
Level 10

Re: Suddenly, TWO Roku units will not make wireless connection

Jump to solution

Regardless of the Roku device, all of them should at least be able to connect on the 2.4ghz band of your network.  To test connectivity, you can try connecting to a mobile hotspot for testing.  Otherwise, you really have to verify that your network is configured properly by acessing your router's admin panel and examining Wireless Settings. (More likely if multiple Rokus have lost connection.)

Basic Router/Network Configuration for Roku Devices (Wireless Settings)

2.4gz network band..... Radio Enabled/On, set Channel between 1-11, not Auto, 12, 13, or 14, Protocols/Mode set to b/g/n, Bandwidth 20Mhz.

5gz network band..... Radio Enabled/On, set channel 36-48 or 149-161, not Auto or any channel 52thru140, Protocols/Mode set to N/AC, Bandwidth 20mhz  or 20/40.

These changes are made in your router often through logging into admin panel or use of a router app depending on router.

Express and Premiere use the 2.4gz band, all other Roku models can use either the 2.4gz or 5gz bands of your network.

If you still have problems after verifying above, post your roku devices and your router model.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
AvsGunnar
Level 10

Jump to solution

Regardless of the Roku device, all of them should at least be able to connect on the 2.4ghz band of your network.  To test connectivity, you can try connecting to a mobile hotspot for testing.  Otherwise, you really have to verify that your network is configured properly by acessing your router's admin panel and examining Wireless Settings. (More likely if multiple Rokus have lost connection.)

Basic Router/Network Configuration for Roku Devices (Wireless Settings)

2.4gz network band..... Radio Enabled/On, set Channel between 1-11, not Auto, 12, 13, or 14, Protocols/Mode set to b/g/n, Bandwidth 20Mhz.

5gz network band..... Radio Enabled/On, set channel 36-48 or 149-161, not Auto or any channel 52thru140, Protocols/Mode set to N/AC, Bandwidth 20mhz  or 20/40.

These changes are made in your router often through logging into admin panel or use of a router app depending on router.

Express and Premiere use the 2.4gz band, all other Roku models can use either the 2.4gz or 5gz bands of your network.

If you still have problems after verifying above, post your roku devices and your router model.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
magnus523
Level 7

Jump to solution

I'm sorry to say that your answer is largely beyond me. If my router has an admin panel, I've never seen it and have no idea of how to access it. I should add, however, that phones, computers and tablets are all working fine off the house wifi with no issues.

I have a Roku Ultra purchased on July 16, 2019 and a Roku Express purchased on Jan. 1, 2021, and neither has had any problem until now. I can't think of anything to do at present other than to pitch these and buy more, which is pretty disappointing.

0 Kudos
magnus523
Level 7

Jump to solution

Oh, and the router is a Netgear.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Level 10

Jump to solution

Unfortunately, you really need to learn how to access your router's settings or you are bound to run into the same situation with the new devices.  If you post your router model number, and can find your login credentials (usually on a sticker on underside of router), it really is simple. 

Chances are for the Netgear router you can login to your admin page using a laptop by entering either routerlogin.net or http://www.routerlogin.net or http://192.168.1.1 in the address bar of your browser.  That should open up a Netgear Genie that asks for your login credentials (those on bottom of your router).  Often times, the default admin is admin and the default password is password or 1234.

If you post your router model #, I can provide more detailed info if you run into problems.

0 Kudos
Klaassena
Level 7

Jump to solution

I have the same issue that started happening yesterday to both of my Roku devices.  They will not maintain an internet connection.  One is only 2 months old.  All of my other devices work. I've tried all suggestions and even spent >1 hr on the phone with the router company updating various settings.  My internet connection & download speed are great.  I really think this is a Roku issue.  I guess it time to ditch the Rokus.

RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

@Klaassena

Thanks for the post.

Can you please provide more specific information about the issue you are experiencing? What Roku model devices are you using? What type of router are you using?

With more information we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
magnus523
Level 7

Jump to solution

As i said to AVSGunnar, I have a Roku Ultra and an Express, and a Netgear router. He told me to do the following:

'Chances are for the Netgear router you can login to your admin page using a laptop by entering either routerlogin.net or http://www.routerlogin.net or http://192.168.1.1 in the address bar of your browser.'

None of this would allow me to access the panel -- perhaps it has to be done with a wired connection.  I have my college-age son nosing around with it. However, note that I have done nothing whatsoever to my router settings in, gosh, years, and the problem has just arisen. I see on this board that several other people are having the same problem. I begin to suspect that my ISP is no longer providing this 2.4gz service mentioned.

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Level 20

Jump to solution

@magnus523 wrote:

I begin to suspect that my ISP is no longer providing this 2.4gz service mentioned.

Check the wifi setup on any other devices you may have that do connect to your wifi network.  If they can see and/or connect to the 2.4 GHz band, then you know your router is using 2.4 GHz.  Your Ultra supports both the 2.4 GHZ and 5 GHz bands, your Express is 2.4 GHz only.

Within the 2.4 GHz band supported by both devices, all Rokus will only connect to channels 1 through 11 as are used in the US.  Some other countries extend this up as high as channel 14, but Roku does not support them.

Within the 5 GHz band supported by the Ultra, the nine 5 GHz channels supported by Roku devices are 36, 40, 44, 48, 149, 153, 157, 161, and 165.

The channels assigned to the 5 GHz band between 49 and 148 are shared with other uses such as military, radar, and weather. These channels are termed DFS (dynamic frequency selection) and routers are supposed to automatically switch to a different channel if they detect one of these channels is in use in your area. Roku devices don't support these DFS channels at all and some home routers don't even include them.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos