Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Spywaxu
Level 7

Suddenly Not finding network /Low signal

Listing my product jnformationAll of the sudden this morning my Roku express lagged and then got a low signal error.  Additionally the Roku does not "see" our 5G network (which i understand is faster but without a good range).  Where before it would see this 

i reset my Roku, reset my router and searched online.  I see several posts to getting the free hdmi extender and tried to fill out the form but I'm consistently told my serial number is wrong.  

initially I thought I was reading wrong but then found a way to access through my Roku and typed that number in, same result.  I tried replacing Th e zeros with O's and visa versa but same result.

i did see posts which referred to a "secret internet" and internet channels (ie not like channels one watches but rather for connecting not overlapping). I couldn't figure out where to find / access this.

I welcome any help or suggestions--I'm about ready to try a different product.

Here is a link to a photo of tech specs of my device including serial number

0 Kudos
5 Replies
makaiguy
Level 20

Re: Suddenly Not finding network /Low signal

I can answer one part of your post: the free HDMI extender is only offered for Roku streaming sticks, not for other units that connect to the tv through an HDMI cable. That's why it rejects your serial number when you try to order.
  • Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@Spywaxu 

Thanks for the information.

Please be aware the Roku Express is only compatible with wireless b/g/n networks on the 2.4 GHz spectrum. Have you tried changing the wireless broadcast channel on the router to see if this will allow your device to connect? 

I would also recommend checking out our Support page for troubleshooting issues here: What should I do if I cannot connect to my home network or the internet?

If you are still unable to resolve your issue, please send me a PM with your Roku account email address, and include the serial number of the Roku device from Settings>System>About. I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
Johnde
Level 7

I am having the same problem. Signal strength is low. I moved the router 5 feet away. Still low. Reset and updated. Every wifi is low. Even if another device shows it high. 

Gjd0496
Level 7

Last night I had exactly the same problem, and reset the Roku box and my router to no avail.

I also tried to tether it to my phone, which I have done before, and despite the phone only being less than 1 metre away it showed a very low signal.

Is this a software update gone wrong?

mmortal03
Level 9

@Gjd0496 wrote:

Last night I had exactly the same problem, and reset the Roku box and my router to no avail.

I also tried to tether it to my phone, which I have done before, and despite the phone only being less than 1 metre away it showed a very low signal.

Is this a software update gone wrong?

A recent software update does seem to have broken WiFi for a lot of people. See here: https://community.roku.com/t5/Network-Wireless-Wired-Connections/Can-not-wifi-connect-after-v9-4-upg...

Some people have had success testing theirs connected to their phone's hotspot to prove it's not the hardware, but if even that doesn't work for you, the only other thing to try, other than the router settings mentioned in other threads, would be to bring it to a friend's house to test with a different router.

0 Kudos