Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Sudden poor Wifi signal?

@T2shriver, since you don't have Comcast/Xfinity or Cox I don't believe the problem that's afflicting their customers is causing a problem for you, but it probably wouldn't hurt to ensure your router's wireless mode is set to b/g/n and not g/n.

Your model only supports 2.4GHz Wi-Fi, so you may benefit by getting a model that supports 5GHz.  I think the model you got (3930) is the only current Roku model that doesn't support 5GHz.  Walmart had a cheap Black Friday special device (Express LT) that doesn't support 5GHz Wi-Fi, so avoid that one if you're looking to replace your current Express.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
T2shriver
Reel Rookie

@renojim The same thing has been happening to my Roku premiere that I have as well. Holds an internet connection for 20 minutes and then it’s in an out for the rest of the night.

Is there anything Roku can do in regard to a model trade-in/exchange for a more advanced model?

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@T2shriver

Thanks for the post.

I would recommend checking out our Support page for troubleshooting issues here: What should I do if I cannot connect to my home network or the internet?

Please answer the following questions so we can get a better understanding of what you are seeing:

- Have you ensured your router is broadcasting a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network for the device to connect to? The Roku Premiere is only compatible with wireless b/g/n networks on the 2.4 GHz spectrum. 
- Have you tried changing the wireless broadcast channel on the router to see if this will allow your device to connect? 
- Have you tried moving the device closer to your router to see if you can get connected? 
- How long have you been experiencing this problem?
- Who is your ISP and what is make and model of your router?

If those things still aren't helping, feel free to provide us with the serial number of your Roku from Settings>System>About along with the answers to the above questions and I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
MilesT
Roku Guru

I have had an older express where the WiFi gradually failed/went intermittent over time. Had to replace it with another.

I think the intentionally compact hardware design of the smaller cheaper Roku boxes is barely adequate for heat dissipation, and streaming video is hard work, and it can be tempting to put the box in a heat flow from the TV (close to screen, on top etc.).  Heat can make hardware flake out a bit randomly.

For similar reasons I would always position a streaming stick as far away from TV as possible, using extender cord, and use external power supply not TV USB power.  Of course you want to make the installation look nice, it is a balance. (I have moved from streaming stick to streambar to get best experience overall).  

Not a Roku employee
0 Kudos

Sudden poor Wifi signal - need assistance

About a year and a half ago out of the blue Roku sent an email to my accoubt about replacing my roku express and sent me a brand new one at no cost to me was just instructed to get rid of the old  roku express . To throw it away exactly 

0 Kudos
Plester

I had the same problem with my TCL Roku TV. It worked great for a year or two, then it decided the wifi signal was poor. HERE'S THE FIX! I read someone previously mentioned that it works fine if the wifi signal is REALLY close. So I moved one of my Google wifi points right behind the TV, problem solved! If you aren't familiar with it, Google wifi has a base router & you can use additional points to repeat the signal. There are other repeaters available that would do the same thing if you don't have a Google router. Get a wifi repeater & plug it in right next to or behind your TV. 

0 Kudos
BaronVendredi
Channel Surfer

Here we are in September 2022, this problem is still being reported & Roku seem to be in denial.

I have two Roku Express (3900X) devices. They have worked fine for some years, but now they both tell me my wireless internet signal is poor in the spot I've been using them their whole lives. In fact last night the wireless connection became "unworkable" on both.

I have now set them both up <1.5m from my router, done factory resets & they both still say it is a poor connection but workable. (As I type I have Disney+ playing Star Wars on one of them with no problems.)

(Oddly, if I check the connection in their current temporary location they both say there is no wireless connection, but still work - it doesn't drop the connection it now claims it can't see...)

Every other device I place in their original location is getting a strong signal. My very (8 years?) old Apple TV box works just fine in the same spot as I have tried both Rokus. It is the Rokus with the problem - not any other piece of my wireless infrastructure.

I don't accept all the directions from Roku employees about checking X, Y or Z router settings. (I provide IT support for SMEs - I have a finely tuned bull**bleep** detector & years identifying exactly what problems are & fixing them.)

Here's my theory - two options:

1. A Roku Express will not last forever. They seem to run extremely hot & are a small cheap box. Perhaps they are slowly cooking themselves & eventually wear out. Maybe it's just an age thing. I have always been concerned that they seem to run hot & beyond disconnecting power it is impossible to switch them off.
  2. Roku are intentionally bricking devices. Manufactured obsolescence is as thing despite the planet's resources running out. Either after a certain point in a products life or ownership Roku change things to make a device unworkable & require replacing. Since my two devices have had very different amounts of time in use I suspect the latter.

I doubt anyone will ever get a real answer, but I know where I'd put my money.

My solution is to have just bought a third new device - a Roku Express 4K (3940EU). This even though I don't need 4K, but because my research suggests the wireless range is better.

Surprise surprise, it is getting a very strong wireless signal sitting right next to the two original devices that can't seem to. A miracle!

I think that this is the last time I throw money at Roku. Sad, because it has been nice to have a content agnostic hardware solution.

0 Kudos
randatlas
Streaming Star

@BaronVendredi

If it matters at all, this was my solution (edited for brevity): 

I do have some of those HDMI extension cables, and the streaming stick has never worked when I use a cable with it. 

Fortunately I was able to get things up and running again. Basically I started all over. Powered everything down, unplugged it all, etc. After I manually entered my router info - voila, the Roku's channels worked again.

I am considering getting a box-type Roku (no stick) for the future because even though things are working now, that hot streaming stick still concerns me.

Update: I did end up buying a Roku Ultra so I could ditch that hot streaming stick. Yeah, I reluctantly threw more money at Roku. I wish they could send us replacement units or upgrades so we didn't have to deal with this stuff and spend the extra money!

I agree with your venting/remarks, and I hope your solution lasts...

0 Kudos