Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FRSAM

Re: Sudden poor Wifi signal?

My 3yr old device has just started doing this! Buffering for ever and losing connection.  My phone and tablet connected with full strength so either the roku is simply poor receiver or is 'dying'. Are roku devices that poorly made? 

0 Kudos
randatlas
Streaming Star

@FRSAM wrote:

My 3yr old device has just started doing this! Buffering for ever and losing connection.  My phone and tablet connected with full strength so either the roku is simply poor receiver or is 'dying'. Are roku devices that poorly made? 

I wrote you a long reply, tried to post it and got a Roku error! I couldn't get back to my response. Should have done a copy and paste job.

Anyway, to make the long story short...

Yes, sometimes these devices are poorly made but sometimes you have to be a little creative and really delve into the problem. I suspect a problem with your Roku's Internet settings. If the following doesn't help, maybe it's time to get another device. Or, read the other answers in this forum thread.

So...

Did you try powering down your TV and Roku, disconnecting them, reconnecting, etc? Then enter your Internet connection info manually? 

Home > Settings > Network > Set up connection > Wireless etc.

If this doesn't work.... Is your Roku a stick or a "box" unit? If it's a stick, they get awfully hot back there and I don't trust them. If you don't want to give up on Roku, I would buy a box type rather than a stick, to replace your existing Roku.

I'm far from an expert but I hope this helps. Good luck!

0 Kudos
mr102
Reel Rookie

I have a 42 Sharp Roku tv that has been rock solid for about 5 years.  The router has always been very close to the tv. I recently bought a high end "gaming" type router to improve performance on all the other devices in the house, and it has, except for some reason now the tv glitches/pauses when streaming. I do a network check and it takes a while to confirm internet and only gives me 15-16mbs.  Testing on my phone standing in front of it I get almost 400mbs.  I tried to move the router out from behind, about 2m up on the wall, but it hasnt really helped.  I thought I would simply plug it in directly but discovered the tv has no ethernet port.  I have not tried clearing network data yet as an above post suggests I will try that. 

0 Kudos
mr102
Reel Rookie

Since moving router up on the wall and clearing network data it is now 18mbs and seems to be working okay. It is not a 4K tv so I guess that is enough

0 Kudos
kwlsea

So this is clearly a chronic issue that goes back years that is always blamed on user routers.

Here's the short version: the only device that thinks my wifi signal is poor is my Roku.

Everything else works fine.

I have reset/restarted everything. Gone so far as to do factory reset. Not only does Roku still want me to move my router that is less than 10 feet away, it also only sees two networks. I'm in the middle of the city. There are DOZENS of networks around me. Roku sees two (mine and one other) and rates them poor signals. All of my other devices see a strong signal for both.

Is this just a matter of cheap workmanship and a way of getting people to replace the device? If so, say it. No more of the intricate network admin level suggestions for how to solve a problem that only affects the one device.

I'll be interested to see if this posts, or gets removed, since two weeks ago I posted something similar but it's not here now.

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@kwlsea

Thanks for the post.

What Roku model device are you using? Have you tried changing the wireless broadcast channel on the router to see if this will allow your device to connect? 

With more detailed information we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
T2shriver
Reel Rookie

I’ve experienced the same thing. Lived at a different place with a Roku and it worked great. No problems. Router was on a different floor and a whole separate room. I move to a new place with a much stronger Wi-Fi (400+ mbs/s) and my brand new Roku express can’t hold an internet connection for more than 10 minutes before buffering so long it loses connection. Would love to be able to watch a basketball game without periodical interruptions or having to watch the blurriest screen I’ve ever seen. Seriously considering switching to Apple TV. Please provide feedback as to how this issue can be fixed or a number I can call to actually talk to someone.

0 Kudos
randatlas
Streaming Star

I feel your pain. I hope that a Roku employee sees your post in this forum and replies to you. That would be ideal. Sorry I can't be of help. 😞

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@T2shriver, the speed of your Internet connection has nothing to do with the "strength" of your Wi-Fi.  ISPs are selling 21st century snake oil with their claims that faster Internet will solve all your problems.  Who is your ISP?  There's known issues with Comcast/Xfinity and Cox.

The Express devices are the most inexpensive models and come with little to no support except for the web pages and this "community".  What's the model number of your Express displayed under Settings->System->About?  Most Express models only support 2.4GHz Wi-Fi.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
T2shriver
Reel Rookie

@renojim Thank you for your quick reply. We have Spectrum Wi-Fi. The model number of our Express is 3930X. I’ve considered returning the express and trading it in for a more premium model if it would improve our Wi-Fi reception by the Roku device.

0 Kudos