Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
henryzalez
Level 7

Subtitles .srt over network share

Jump to solution

Roku Media Player supports subtitles .srt files while it using USB port, but How I do it if the video and srt files over a network share? I've tried it and it doesn't work.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
StreamerUser
Level 16

Re: Subtitles .srt over network share

Jump to solution

Windows' UPnP/DLNA server is problematic at best when it comes to UPnP/DLNA sharing, including subtitles.

Better to disable it, and install more fully featured UPnP/DLNA server software.

I use and recommend Serviio (for many years now), though there are many other UPnP/DLNA servers that support subtitles in all forms:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_UPnP_AV_media_servers_and_clients#UPnP_AV_media_servers

Many are free or very low cost, and easy to test and trial.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
StreamerUser
Level 16

Jump to solution

@henryzalez wrote:

Roku Media Player supports subtitles .srt files while it using USB port, but How I do it if the video and srt files over a network share? I've tried it and it doesn't work.

Depends on the UPnP/DLNA server software and settings used.

What software are you using?

0 Kudos
henryzalez
Level 7

Jump to solution

Hello
Thank you very much for answering.
I share multimedia content from my PC with w10 pro to the Roku Media Player, on my PC I save the video together with the srt file with the same name in separate folders, the Roku Media Player plays the video well but does not detect the srt file, so every time I want to see some content with subtitles I have to copy the folder to a USB drive, the subtitles are displayed through the USB port without a problem, but it is a real annoyance to have to do that all the time.

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Level 16

Jump to solution

Windows' UPnP/DLNA server is problematic at best when it comes to UPnP/DLNA sharing, including subtitles.

Better to disable it, and install more fully featured UPnP/DLNA server software.

I use and recommend Serviio (for many years now), though there are many other UPnP/DLNA servers that support subtitles in all forms:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_UPnP_AV_media_servers_and_clients#UPnP_AV_media_servers

Many are free or very low cost, and easy to test and trial.

View solution in original post

henryzalez
Level 7

Jump to solution

Your advice has served me well. I did not know about the limitations of UPnP / DLNA on W10, I have installed the Serviio software that you recommended and it works wonderfully, it is very easy to install and use. Now I can see all my videos with subtitles.
Thank you very much for your attention and for sharing what you know. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Level 16

Jump to solution

@henryzalez wrote:

Your advice has served me well. I did not know about the limitations of UPnP / DLNA on W10, I have installed the Serviio software that you recommended and it works wonderfully, it is very easy to install and use. Now I can see all my videos with subtitles.
Thank you very much for your attention and for sharing what you know. Smiley Happy

Glad it worked out - enjoy your local streaming.

0 Kudos