Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jim22
Level 7

Streaming stick wifi connection woes

First, I am really enjoying my roku streaming players.  My original one is an express+, and it works great all over the house.  I don't remember any particular drama setting it up.  I am liking it so well that today I bought two more, this time streaming sticks.  They were on sale, and I don't have any 4k tv's yet.  I have only opened one of them, and will likely exchange the other one for an express over the next couple days.  Here's why...

I plugged the stick directly into a tv that i had been using the express on with good results. It powered up fine, and I got it right onto my network.  I have a linksys ac1200 router located on the other side of the house, probably 40 feet away.  The stick plugs in to the side of the tv, and the body of the tv is between the stick and the router.  Granted, this is not the best wifi geography!  Anyway, it powered up, went right on the network, and did a firmware update.  Then it started adding channels, which took forever, and ended with an error.  It was acting a little flakey, so i cycled the power.  Then i discovered it was not actually connected to the wifi.  I ended up doing a factory reset, at which point it reconnected and tried adding channels again, which went about the same.

I then spent some quality time surfing for clues and putting with router settings.  Mostly I could not get the stick to connect to the router.  It had the right IP address, but no data.

Eventually, I relocated the new stick to a tv in the same room as the router, and later to one on the other side of an interior wall.  On both of those tv's, it seems to work just fine. The moral of the story is that a weak connection is not so obvious as you would hope, and there seems to be significant interference with the stick so close to the tv circuitry.  A usb extension cable might help.  Maybe the express has better wifi circuitry and antennas.  If your planning to use a stick, plan to be close to the router.

I still am really enjoying the roku!

Jim

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
atc98092
Level 13

Re: Streaming stick wifi connection woes

One thing to note with the Stick, is that when plugged directly into the TV there can be interference from within the TV that causes connection issues. Roku offers a free HDMI cable extender, which allows the Stick to be moved slightly away from the TV, which usually clears the interference issues. Since I use my Stick for traveling, I bought an HDMI cable and female to female adapter to move the Stick further away, and it connects to whatever hotel WiFi that is available without issue. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Jim22
Level 7

Re: Streaming stick wifi connection woes

Update:  With the stick plugged into a 3 ft HDMI extension cable the wifi is working fine.
Jim
0 Kudos