Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Streaming stick on a Roku TV?

I have a three-year old Roku TV in a bedroom that's furthest from our router. It's my only device that doesn't get consistent streaming quality. I've tried a wifi extender but that hasn't help.

I see now that Roku has a new streaming plus stick on sale, which is advertised with enhanced wifi reception, including an extended range. I was wondering:

a) I assume I could plug a stick into one of the HDMI plugs and switch the TV over to the stick. But is there something on a Roku TV that might prevent that and default to the internal roku?

B) Does anyone think that the new stick would offer better reception? I've searched for the wifi specs on my Roku TV, but I can't find them listed in any detail. The only other roku TV we have is right near a router, so it's never had a reception problem.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Highlighted
Level 21

Re: Streaming stick on a Roku TV?

Will it work? Absolutely. I used an Ultra connected to a Roku TV for several months while in a long term hotel stay. The only real problem is picking up the wrong remote. Smiley Happy Will the Stick+ be any better over WiFi? They claim so, but you will only know if you try one. Buy one from somewhere with a good return policy. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos