Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EdDobbins
Level 7

Streaming from PC to Roku

Jump to solution

I have a new Roku streaming Stick+ and am trying to get my pc (Toshiba Satellite C55) to stream to my TV ( Samsung Smart TV)  the pc says it sees the Roku in the list of Bluetooth items but its not connected.  I can't seem to get it to connect and have never tried something like this before, so probably missing something simple but have no idea what it might be. Any help would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
atc98092
Level 21

Re: Streaming from PC to Roku

Jump to solution

@EdDobbins wrote:

Are those apps to download to my pc?  And thanks so much for your answer.

There are a number of different software packages available for Windows, Linux and MacOS to set up a DLNA server, which can stream over your network to the Roku. Plex (www.plex.tv) is a nice, easy to use server product, and it has its own Roku channel/app for ease of use. Emby (emby.media) is another, and it too has its own Roku channel. Serviio (www.serviio.org) is a great DLNA server, but does not offer a dedicated channel/app as a player. But it works well with Roku Media Player (which is a free app/channel for your Roku).

Dan
Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
renojim
Level 21

Jump to solution

You can't stream to the stick via bluetooth (I think it's only for bluetooth speakers).  You have to use something like the Roku Media Player or Plex to stream from your computer.

0 Kudos
EdDobbins
Level 7

Jump to solution

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

Jump to solution

@EdDobbins wrote:

There are a number of different software packages available for Windows, Linux and MacOS to set up a DLNA server, which can stream over your network to the Roku. Plex (www.plex.tv) is a nice, easy to use server product, and it has its own Roku channel/app for ease of use. Emby (emby.media) is another, and it too has its own Roku channel. Serviio (www.serviio.org) is a great DLNA server, but does not offer a dedicated channel/app as a player. But it works well with Roku Media Player (which is a free app/channel for your Roku).

Dan
Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
EdDobbins
Level 7

Jump to solution

Thank you.  Ed

0 Kudos
PlexRulz
Level 7

Jump to solution

I can highly recommend Plex as a media server/player combo for Roku. As an aside, the bluetooth capability on the Roku is to support its remote, which is bluetooth-connected.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

Jump to solution

@PlexRulz wrote:

I can highly recommend Plex as a media server/player combo for Roku. As an aside, the Bluetooth capability on the Roku is to support its remote, which is Bluetooth-connected.

There is no current Roku player with Bluetooth support. The extremely old 2 XS had a Bluetooth remote, but you couldn't connect any other BT device to it. The new 4800 Ultra, that isn't quite available yet, will support connecting something via Bluetooth to stream audio. But it's not a BT remote. 

Roku players that support an RF remote don't use BT as the communication protocol. The lower priced remotes are Infrared only. The more advanced remotes use WiFi Direct. That is not Bluetooth. They both use the 2.4 GHz radio band, but the two are not compatible. 

Dan
0 Kudos