Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cbmtrx
Level 7

Re: Streaming Stick shows much slower connection speed than wifi

Chiming in here—we've had a streaming stick for a few years (connected via WiFi) and I've noticed more and more slowness/connectivity problems over the last 6 months or so. [Read: it didn't use to be like this.] Netflix is *especially* bad—it's now a 50/50 shot whether Netflix can connect properly within the first 10-20 seconds (normal) versus the now-more-typical 60 seconds or more (very often followed by "connection problem" dialog messages).

Similarly, Plex is slow too.

For comparison, my computer *never* has Netflix/Plex connectivity problems. But it's not connecting via WiFi, it's direct ethernet. So is WiFi the problem?

But but but, before you tell me about your snazzy HDMI extender WE HAVE ONE INSTALLED. It has not helped.

Here's also why I'm posting here today: My friend's Roku system is BLAZINGLY FAST—and not just connectivity, but even the remote responsiveness, speed of typing, searching, and general on-screen functions. Is there a new Roku streaming stick that somehow does what ours can't? I don't get it. Typing on our Roku is a CHORE and forget about rewinding or fast-forwarding—waste of time. YouTube is the worst on the Roku.

- Do we need to upgrade?
- Is an upgrade going to SOLVE these problems?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 17

@cbmtrx wrote:

Chiming in here—we've had a streaming stick for a few years (connected via WiFi) and I've noticed more and more slowness/connectivity problems over the last 6 months or so. [Read: it didn't use to be like this.] Netflix is *especially* bad—it's now a 50/50 shot whether Netflix can connect properly within the first 10-20 seconds (normal) versus the now-more-typical 60 seconds or more (very often followed by "connection problem" dialog messages).

Similarly, Plex is slow too.

For comparison, my computer *never* has Netflix/Plex connectivity problems. But it's not connecting via WiFi, it's direct ethernet. So is WiFi the problem?

But but but, before you tell me about your snazzy HDMI extender WE HAVE ONE INSTALLED. It has not helped.

Here's also why I'm posting here today: My friend's Roku system is BLAZINGLY FAST—and not just connectivity, but even the remote responsiveness, speed of typing, searching, and general on-screen functions. Is there a new Roku streaming stick that somehow does what ours can't? I don't get it. Typing on our Roku is a CHORE and forget about rewinding or fast-forwarding—waste of time. YouTube is the worst on the Roku.

- Do we need to upgrade?
- Is an upgrade going to SOLVE these problems?

Thanks.

That sounds more like some new interference started in your area around 6 months ago. The first thing to try is simply moving the Roku or the router a little to see if the signal improves. At 2.4 GHz, the size of the frequency signal is measured in fractions of an inch. It doesn't take much to alter the signal. If that doesn't help, try changing the channel your wireless router uses. 

You specifically mentioned YouTube. That is one channel that seems to ignore older hardware. Google seems to keep changing it so that it doesn't work well on older players. It's completely unusable on my old 2 XS. I haven't had my Stick (3600) out of my suitcase for months, so I can't say if they've impacted it. But with my newer Roku devices YT is fine. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
cbmtrx
Level 7

Thanks; I can see if moving the router helps any but I'm still left wondering how on earth my friend's Roku setup is just light years faster than what we have. He was zipping through menus, editing search params, seeking etc...we can't do that.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Geoff114
Level 8

It has been suggested that I also get the free HDMI extender and try having the stick out from behind the TV.  Which to me is a bit ironic as the stick is designed to fit in the back of a flat screen TV and to be partly obstructed by the screen itself!  

0 Kudos
cbmtrx
Level 7

The HDMI extender didn't seem to work for us.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 17

The reason for the extender suggestion is that all TVs emit some RF radiation. Depending of the radiation source location, it might impact the Stick when directly connected to the HDMI port. Usually it just takes a small separation to mitigate the radiation interference and improve the WiFi signal. This normally allows keeping the Stick out of sight, but sometimes yes it has to be moved further away. I believe that's one of the reasons the latest model Sticks moved the WiFi antenna into the power cord, so it would be further away from the TV itself. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Geoff114
Level 8

Hi Tanner,

Finally got around to doing the checks you suggested.  I used an HDMI lead to move the stick away from the TV, I also changed the extender channel from 7 to 36.  Both times the 'check connection' said signal excellent, download speed 11 mbps.  This when the speed from my extender is 54mbps!

So, disappointing to say the least!

Any other thoughts?

Geoff

0 Kudos