Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Geoff114
Level 8

Streaming Stick shows much slower connection speed than wifi

Hi,

We've had our streaming stick for over a year and always get some form of buffering on BBC Iplayer and Netflix, slow to download.  These are the channels we most use.  Last week I installed a. Powerline extender about 10 feet from the TV, which is showing 53mbps whereas the Roku shows 9mbps or sometimes 12mbps.

How can this be?  Spent a long time on chat with a Roku guy who said the Roku measures the speed from the router, which is in another room, not the extender.??  He also said I need to move the router nearer to the Roku to determine the problem, but not possible as the router is in a different room to the wall mounted TV.

What's the solution?

Geoff

[post moved to appropriate board]

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
16 Replies
atc98092
Level 16

Re: Streaming Stick shows much slower connection speed than wifi

I have never found Roku to display anything approaching an accurate speed test. Even my wired players only say 60 Mbps after a connection test, and I have 90 Mbps DSL, confirmed on a wired computer. If I switch to wireless, the same Roku connected to a 5 GHz .11AC access point will drop to 50 Mbps.

What's accurate? I have no idea. I know that I can stream from my media server (all connected to a wired Gigabit network) with no issues with HD material (bitrates around 30-40 Mbps), but when I play my UHD rips, I encounter buffering (100 Mbps with peaks over 130). Since Roku devices with Ethernet jacks are still only 100 Mbps, that makes sense. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
Geoff114
Level 8

You're lucky, I get 9 - 12mbps shown on my streaming stick, with 53mbps coming out of my extender!  This is why I have the buffering problem which after three attempts with the Roku chat service still hasn't been solved.

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Geoff114 

A couple thoughts here: 

- Have you tried grabbing one of our free HDMI extenders to help move your Streaming Stick a bit further away from the TV itself? This can often help improve wireless reception and performance. 

- Have you tried ensuring your extender is broadcasting a 5GHz wireless network? 

- Have you tried changing the wireless broadcast channel on your router/extender to something not in use by any other networks around you? This can often help eliminate wireless interference and improve network performance. 

Keep us posted from there! 

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
Geoff114
Level 8

Hi Tanner,

Thanks for picking up my query.

I haven't tried an HDMI extender to move the Roku from behind the TV. I did this some time ago with my original Roku, now replaced, I used a HDMI cable I already had. It made no difference.  Mind you, I wasn't using an extender then. Also, isn't the Roku designed to work behind the TV??  I used my phone to measure the data rate with Fast.com, holding it right next to the Roku, behind the TV and it showed 53mbps.

My extender is broadcasting on both 5GHz and 2.4GHz.

I haven't tried changing the channel the extender broadcasts on. I don't know which are popular channels.  Currently, using Netspot, the extender is broadcasting 2.4GHz on channel 5 and 5GHz on channel 36.  Of the 10 other devices seen by Netspot, no others are using these channels, so I guess, no potential interference.

Any. further thoughts?

Geoff

Community Manager
Community Manager

I'd still recommend trying a different wireless broadcast channel to see if this helps improve performance. Some environments may have other factors at play that could impact performance. If you don't have any devices that are solely in need of 2.4GHz, you might also try disabling 2.4GHz broadcast entirely to see if this helps.

Keep us posted! 

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
Geoff114
Level 8

Hi Tanner,

I'll try this but surely it's not the broadcasting of the signal that's the problem, but the receiving of it by the Roku stick?

Geoff

bkh
Level 7

You're doing better than me.. I get fiber connection to the house, and my roku says 1mbps.  1.  

Mine is a Roku ultra.  Starting to wonder why I recommend these devices when the Roku 3 in another room (further from the wireless) streams fine, but the "new" one has times of delay on button presses up to 20 seconds.  

0 Kudos
Geoff114
Level 8

Yes, I find the button press delay is annoying, I thought Roku was supposed to the best streaming stick?!  I'm thinking of going to Amazon Fire Stick

Community Manager
Community Manager

@Geoff114  Did you have a chance to try the tips I provided last?

To help understand the issue you're seeing a bit better, could you please provide some additional information: 

- What model of Roku Streaming Stick do you own? 

- Have you ordered a free HDMI extender to see if this helps improve your device's ability to send/receive wireless signals? Moving the Streaming Stick a bit further away from the TV usually helps with this, especially in cases where HDMI inputs are inset into the TV,. 

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos