Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JTKing
Level 7

Streaming Stick+ disconnecting from network

I've had a Streaming Stick+ for only a couple of months. Was using it on a Samsung TV that is many years old. No issues, ever. I just recently replaced that TV with a relatively cheap Sceptre and immediately began having connection issues with the Streaming Stick. Same room, same router, just a different TV. What's really odd is that the Roku is now literally 2ft from the wireless router! I initially had the Roku set up right on the back of the TV plugged directly into the HDMI and USB ports. It was constantly disconnecting so now I have it placed below the TV using HDMI and USB extension cables. It stayed connected for maybe half hour before disconnecting again. I've gone through 4 factory resets over the last few days. Any ideas?

0 Kudos
15 Replies
renojim
Level 21

Re: Streaming Stick+ disconnecting from network

First, I'd try the supplied power adapter.  USB ports in many TVs don't supply enough power.  It's possible (probable) that your Scepter TV generates more interference than your Samsung, but since you've moved it away from the back that should mitigate that issue.  Moving it farther away from the router probably wouldn't hurt.  It's possible to be too close.

0 Kudos
JTKing
Level 7

When we had it on the Samsung we were using the USB power adapter as I didn't have an available USB on back of that TV. The new one did so I tried it. I now have the streaming stick hanging down along the edge of the cabinet; so its a good 2ft from the TV and maybe a foot away from router. Had connection for an hour, maybe more, then it just drops connection. I've gone back to the wall plug USB power adapter. Turned it back on, no connection. It's been sitting here disconnected for about 15 min then suddenly it reconnects. It's sporadic and maddening!!

0 Kudos
JTKing
Level 7

aaaaaand, it's disconnected again. Is it possible for the TV to still be cause of interference if the Roku is now 2ft away?!

0 Kudos
JTKing
Level 7

So now the Roku is hanging down just along cabinet edge; probably 3ft from TV and 2ft from router. Connection this morning is random... disconnected for the most part with very brief periods of connection lasting maybe 10 seconds. During one of the short connections I was able to go to settings to view details. Signal strength, of course, is excellent. Wireless channel is 1. Is this going to be an instance where router settings need to change? If so, will that cause problems with other devices in the house (cell phones, laptops, etc)? It is an ATT 5G router.

0 Kudos
renojim
Level 21

I wouldn't think interference from the TV could be the issue if it's that far away.  If it was that bad then I would think it would be affecting other devices.  One thing to note, if it's using channel 1 then it's using the 2.4GHz Wi-Fi band.  Have you tried 5GHz?  Unfortunately the "5G" term is getting confused between the 5GHz Wi-Fi band and fifth generation cell phone service known as 5G.  The two couldn't be any more different.  When you say it's an ATT 5G router, I'm not sure what that means.  When you set up the network connection on the stick do you see two different networks from your router?  Usually the ISP supplied routers use suffixes of 2G and 5G to denote the different bands adding to the confusion.  See if you can connect to 5GHz.

0 Kudos
JTKing
Level 7

Yes, all I see during Roku set-up is one option for my router (network). I clicked 'scan again' just to make sure. Other thoughts? It of course is connected again and working alright. We'll see how long it lasts. Seems to be temperamental.

0 Kudos
JTKing
Level 7

It worked for almost an hour this evening. Now disconnected again. $#!&?!

0 Kudos
JTKing
Level 7

I emailed Roku over the weekend about this. A tech replied and suggested I try connecting to a mobile hotspot. That worked without issue. Interestingly, when I disconnected from hotspot and reconnected to home network, the channel in Roku settings switched from 1 to 36. It's now 1:15pm and it has remained connected since probably 8:30am. Maybe it has corrected itself??

0 Kudos
renojim
Level 21

If it switched from channel 1 to channel 36 then it switched from 2.4GHz to 5GHz.  If you didn't choose a different network to connect to then your router must be using the same SSID and password for both bands.  Personally, I wouldn't set up my router like that.  I think that's just one more way to trip up an already fragile Roku.

0 Kudos