Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Streaming Stick+ Wireless Range/Connection

[Topic relocated]

Thanks for following up. I have 5 Streaming Stick+ units around the house, all installed within the last 2 to 3 weeks. All installed fine. Now, randomly in the evening, 2 of them (farthest distance from my router) lose the internet connection.  Here are the answers to your questions:

- Have you ensured your router is broadcasting a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network for the device to connect to? The Roku Express is only compatible with wireless b/g/n networks on the 2.4 GHz spectrum. YES.
- Have you tried changing the wireless broadcast channel on the router to see if this will allow your device to connect? NO.
- Have you tried moving the device closer to your router to see if you can get connected? Not this unit. Three other units are closer and connected.
- How long have you been experiencing this problem? Since installation, about 2 to3 weeks.

Thanks for your help.

Neal

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Roku Express suddenly can't connect to WiFi

Hi,

I am a new user and have this same issue -- but only at night! This afternoon I had Roku working on 2 tvs in different parts of the house, while videos were streaming on 2 computers and everything worked fine.

The last 2 nights, Roku gives me the cannot connect message. I've tried your solution with no success. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Neal

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

@NealW  

Hi Neal, 

I took a look at your post, and wanted to follow up here. Your devices are capable of both 2.4 & 5GHz wireless network connections, which differs from Roku Express models that only support 2.4GHz networks. I am moving your post to a new topic. 

The issue you described sounds like a wireless range issue. If you were to move one of the two devices having trouble connecting to a location closer to your wireless router, do they connect normally as the other 3 do? Here are a few other things you can do to try and improve the connection for devices located further away from your wireless router that may be on the boundary of the range they are capable of supporting: 

1. Change the wireless broadcast channel on your wireless network, to one that is not in use by other networks around you. This can reduce wireless interference and can often improve wireless connection performance. 

2. Try adding a wireless network range extender toy our home network to extend the range of your wireless network beyond the location of your current wireless router. 

3. You might try enabling the 5GHz band on your wireless network and see if you are able to get connected using this method. Your ISP or router manufacturer can help you configure this and test functionality. 

Keep us posted from there if there is anything else we can assist you with. 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

@NealW , change the 2.4Ghz channel to communicate in Wireless G ONLY mode, NOTHING else. Roku pooched it with the November update.

0 Kudos