Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Streaming Stick+ Wireless Connection issue

Wifi signal is horrible. I have my router right next to my access point with 5G and an internet speed of 400Mbps download. When i run the wifi connection tool it says 15Mbps with Excellent signal to my router.... what gives... something is jacked up with my Roku 4K stick

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Highlighted
Level 19

Re: Streaming Stick+ Wireless Connection issue

@ceejaymusic  Thanks for reaching out. Are you experiencing an issue with playback? Most streaming services will rarely ever require more than anywhere from 10-25 MBPS connection in order to stream, including 4K content. Having additional bandwidth beyond that won't add additional performance to your device. 

In general, if you are running into network issues, there are a number of things you can do to help improve the signal. You'll want to have your device a normal distance from your router (a few feet), and not necessarily right next to it. Sometimes this can create a scenario where your device is 'hearing' too much signal from your router, similar to if someone was standing next to your ear and shouting directly into it. A few other things to try and help improve your connection can be found here: https://support.roku.com/article/213122277-tips-for-improving-the-wireless-connection-to-your-roku-s...

Namely, try changing the wireless broadcast channel on your wireless router to another channel not in use by another nearby network. Your ISP or wireless router manufacturer can help you do this. (Note: Roku devices do not support the use of 5GHz DFS wireless channels, so you'll want to make sure to choose a non-DFS channel) 

Let us know how it goes from there! 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Yes I have playback issues using Plex which i dont have with an amazon firestick 4K on the same TV. The firestick tests at full speed. Roku however is horrible 15Mbps which doesnt NOT support 4K high bitrate streaming.

The rest of your post looks as if you didnt even read my post ... making suggestions where I have already addressed those is most unhelpful.

0 Kudos
Level 19

@ceejaymusic  Have you tried changing the wireless broadcast channel on your wireless router to see if this helps improve performance? We would recommend starting there for connection issues. We'd also recommend that you power your device using the included wall power adapter, and not via a TV's USB port which may not provide enough power for proper functionality. 

If you need further help from there, please feel free to reach out to our support team directly here: https://support.roku.com/contactus

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

There are times that you can actually be too close to the access point, and have signal degradation due to over-saturation. While I don't get stellar WiFi speeds with my Roku devices, they are all far better than 15 Mbps. 

What sort of material are you attempting to play from Plex? UHD movie rips? 1080 Blu Ray, or DVD rips? The only ones that give me problems are the UHD rips, as they have bitrates that can exceed 150 Mbps. But I have no issues at all with 1080 or lower material.

One thing to check: see if framerate matching is enabled under the Advanced Display Settings. I find that this doesn't work well, and can cause playback issues even with DVD bitstream levels. Turning it off restores smooth playback. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Again....as i stated already...yes i tried changing the channel.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I am not too close to the AP. I am about 6-8 feet away. Plenty far..and the Firestick 4K has no issues plugged into the same place.

PLex is UHD rips but i encode the rips with a lower bitrate. My issue isnt so much the playback as the noted wifi speed (root cause)... since 4k tends to need 20-25 megs to stream (minimum) having 15 just wont cut it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

@ceejaymusic wrote:

Again....as i stated already...yes i tried changing the channel.

I've offered a couple of other suggestions in the other post you created. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

@ceejaymusic wrote:

I am not too close to the AP. I am about 6-8 feet away. Plenty far..and the Firestick 4K has no issues plugged into the same place.

PLex is UHD rips but i encode the rips with a lower bitrate. My issue isnt so much the playback as the noted wifi speed (root cause)... since 4k tends to need 20-25 megs to stream (minimum) having 15 just wont cut it.

Yes, I would agree that 6-8 feet should be more than adequate. If you've encoded to a lower bitrate then obviously you know what sort of bandwidth you need. My UHDs are all default bitrate, which is why I use an Nvidia Shield for their playback. Again, I offered additional suggestions in your other post. 

Dan
0 Kudos