Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rcwaszak
Level 7

Streaming Stick Plus

Just purchased 4 of these - one for each TV in the house and assigned 1 to each of 4 individual accounts.  Initial setup is smooth with wireless connectivity.  However, if the internet connection goes down the units will not re-connect without doing a factory reset and going through the entire initial set up process.  I've tried to power down the modem/router (VDSL2) and the Roku to no avail.  Internet searching turned up the "secret" remote button combinations to access hidden Roku menus where I disabled network pinging - still no good.  In my testing I've found that the "Check Connection" under Settings/Network will also fail even when I have a working Internet connection after I do the initial setup.  I have a CenturyLink C1000A-D0 VDSL2 modem/router which, from other searches I've done, seems to have some issues.  If someone on the forum has a Streaming Stick Plus with software version 8.1.0 build 4145-50 could test their wireless connection using the Settings/Network/Check Connection option and report back here I would appreciate it.  I'm trying to see if this is a common Streaming Stick Plus firmware/software problem or is a C1000A-D0 modem/router problem. Thanks

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
mike1597
Level 7

Re: Streaming Stick Plus

This issue is likely related to your outdated modem/router combo.  A new wireless router/Access Point will likely solve your issue.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

"mike1597" wrote:
This issue is likely related to your outdated modem/router combo.  A new wireless router/Access Point will likely solve your issue.

Unfortunately, as far as CenturyLink is concerned that is a current, up to date modem. I have the same one, and have constant issues with it overheating. I have a fan blowing directly on it year round, because even in winter it gets too hot. I have Wi-Fi disabled on it, and use different routers as WAPs on my network. I've complained to CL about the poor hardware, but they have no other options available. Those Actiontec routers are cheap, which is probably why CL sticks with them. 
That said, as long as it hasn't locked up I never have any streaming issues with any of my Roku players or other Internet devices. I don't have the Stick Plus, but everything I have works fine. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
rcwaszak
Level 7

Re: Streaming Stick Plus - Test Please

Good morning all,
   Is there no one out there that can run this test for me?
From original post . . . 
"If someone on the forum has a Streaming Stick Plus with software version 8.1.0 build 4145-50 could test their wireless connection using the Settings/Network/Check Connection option and report back here I would appreciate it.  I'm trying to see if this is a common Streaming Stick Plus firmware/software problem or is a C1000A-D0 modem/router problem. Thanks"
0 Kudos
rcwaszak
Level 7

Problem resolved.  I was able to temporarily connect to a different network (cable modem) and the Rokus were able to connect, re-connect, and pass the "Check Connection" test without any problems.  So the ActionTec C1000A DSL modem/router is the problem.  I suspect that there is some setting (DHCP Reservations?) in the ActionTec that would resolve the problem but since I was intending to replace the leased modem anyway I did not want to spend the time to do further testing. Today I replaced the ActionTec with a Motorola MD1600.  It took about 20 minutes to setup the Motorola and then another 10 minutes to connect the Roku Streaming Stick Pluses. The Motorola's automatic setup worked flawlessly with the CenturyLink VDSL line. One thing that I can find fault with is the Motorola's management software. Compared to other modem/router management programs that I've used this one seems to be lacking.  But, then again, if you don't have a need to access the more esoteric features of the equipment it doesn't matter - as long as it works.
0 Kudos
craigstew
Level 7

I have the same issue, and it started 3 days ago as I cannot get my PLUS Sticks to connect to my networks anymore. I even assigned a static IP addresses by binding them in the router to their MAC address and still they cannot connect to my wi-fi network. So I reinstalled my 4 old non + sticks and they work perfectly right away.

Something is wrong with the +Stick and Wi-Fi access. Was their an upgrade on 8/21/18?

I asking for a refund as this is not what I should be experiencing.
0 Kudos
rcwaszak
Level 7

"craigstew" wrote:
I have the same issue, and it started 3 days ago as I cannot get my PLUS Sticks to connect to my networks anymore. I even assigned a static IP addresses by binding them in the router to their MAC address and still they cannot connect to my wi-fi network. So I reinstalled my 4 old non + sticks and they work perfectly right away.

Something is wrong with the +Stick and Wi-Fi access. Was their an upgrade on 8/21/18?

I asking for a refund as this is not what I should be experiencing.

Not sure about the update. I'll check when I'm back where the +sticks are installed.  Do you have the ActionTec C1000A DSL modem/router?  My new Motorola MD1600 has been playing nicely with my 4 +sticks since Thursday 8/23/2018.
0 Kudos