Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
IBMMuseum
Level 7

Streaming Stick (HDMI) - Port Installation or WiFi Issues

Today I tried to move my Streaming Stick from one input on an HDMI switch (which is tucked below one side of the Dell display I use) to another, and my remote wouldn't work. I was able to use my Roku Remote app to navigate initially, tried (unsuccessfully) to re-pair with the remote, and power-cycled the Roku again. It notified me the wireless access was down.

Everything I tried with the Roku on that input wouldn't correct the issue long-term. The HDMI switch wasn't moved, but that input location apparently had other interference with the wireless (both for the remote and network access, I am on channel 11). With no other solution, I switched it back to the original input. I have an extra 4" HDMI extender from one of my Chromecasts, so I will probably experiment more, but looking for more of the angled adapters (that I can source easily enough), as the extension puts it further behind the equipment.

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
120 Replies
IBMMuseum
Level 7

Re: Streaming Stick (HDMI) - Port Installation or WiFi Issue

"IBMMuseum" wrote:
Today I tried to move my Streaming Stick from one input on an HDMI switch (which is tucked below one side of the Dell display I use) to another, and my remote wouldn't work. I was able to use my Roku Remote app to navigate initially, tried (unsuccessfully) to re-pair with the remote, and power-cycled the Roku again. It notified me the wireless access was down.

Everything I tried with the Roku on that input wouldn't correct the issue long-term. The HDMI switch wasn't moved, but that input location apparently had other interference with the wireless (both for the remote and network access, I am on channel 11). With no other solution, I switched it back to the original input. I have an extra 4" HDMI extender from one of my Chromecasts, so I will probably experiment more, but looking for more of the angled adapters (that I can source easily enough), as the extension puts it further behind the equipment.

An update that today I used the 4" HDMI extension to the same input on the HDMI switch that misbehaved yesterday, and that solves the issue. I've ordered other HDMI adapters and extenders last night, because I want to make it even more optimal (physically) than what the 4" can do. It's worth a little experimentation if you have an issue that sounds like this.
0 Kudos
squigy0
Level 7

Has anybody experienced any issues where having the Roku stick plugged into one HDMI port causes devices plugged into other HDMI ports to randomly hiccup?

On my Sansung 42" LCD, my FIOS Motorolla box is plugged into HDMI1 and my Roku stick into HDMI2 + the on-board USB. Roku sound and picture is flawless. However when on the Verizon port, all television radomly goes black at various times for about 2 seconds and the sound blips out at the same time. The second I unplug the Roku stick from the HDMI port, this stops happening.

I've so far just tried turning the TV off and back on, and moving the Roku further away, down to HDMI3, and the same happens. Not sure if moving Roku to HDMI1 and my Motorolla to a different one is going to make a difference?
0 Kudos
Jitling
Level 7

Hi all,
I've had my streaming stick for a month, no problems. Last week we updated our router. (Virgin Superhubi believe). Initially having problems but able to use controller, restored to factory settings. Now I cannot use the controller, app suggests that it cannot link with our broadband. Stuck on the pair the controller page. I thought this was supposed to be simple!
0 Kudos
Precglide
Level 7

I just tried calling Roku support to get the cable and they said there was no such offer.
0 Kudos
RokuShawnS
Level 10

"Precglide" wrote:
I just tried calling Roku support to get the cable and they said there was no such offer.

We're still offering the cable. Please PM me your name, address, phone, email address, Roku Serial #, and Customer Support case # (if you have it).

I'll get it into the proper hands.

C. Shawn Smith
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
0 Kudos
microlady
Level 7

I just saw an invitation to get this extension by filling in a form for the 3500R stick: it was at this address:
http://www.roku.com/support-hdmi

It said I would be sent a free extension. Maybe this will help others. If I get one as promised ...I will post back.
Original Roku Model N1000,bought 2008 (2014 still works perfectly)
2014 new owner of Roku 3500 (HDMI) streaming stick
2016 new owner of Roku 3600 (HDMI) streaming stick
0 Kudos
RokuShawnS
Level 10

"microlady" wrote:
I just saw an invitation to get this extension by filling in a form for the 3500R stick: it was at this address:
http://www.roku.com/support-hdmi

It said I would be sent a free extension. Maybe this will help others. If I get one as promised ...I will post back.

Thanks for that. The team was supposed to notify me when this went live grrr.

:mrgreen:

C. Shawn Smith
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
0 Kudos
cbn
Level 7

Hi I just bought roku streaming stick 2 days ago , I tried it on my HD Tv but it does not connect to the local network , I checked the mac address and mac filtering and all was ok , also I disabled firewall . My network security is WEP and my router model is SMCD3GN .. please can you help me in this issue. Thnx
0 Kudos
kc8pql
Level 7

^ See the first post in this thread.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R
0 Kudos