Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cag505
Level 7

Speed

Is there some kind of speed cap on ROKU 3 ??
My setup:
ROKU 3
FireTV version 2
Both have Ethernet connections.
One strange thing, can anybody answer why?
I have a TP-Link Powerline adapter with two outputs.
One to ROKU, one to FireTV, both Cat 5..
When I check speed on ROKU via Netflix is says 22mbps
When I check speed on FireTV via Netflix it says 50+.
When I check speed on FireTV with browser and SpeakEasy it says 50+.
Remember both are feeding off the same Powerline adapter !!!

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
trekkeriii
Level 10

Re: Speed

Nope, no bandwidth caps. Likely a difference in the Routes the data is taking. Nothing you can do on your end to improve it.
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
0 Kudos
overtimeman
Level 7

When I check my speed using the Netflix app it's always half the speed on my ultra verses the ftv2.Same on the Roku stick and firetv stick in the bedroom.Living room wired and the bedroom wireless.Haven't lost any sleep over it.
I used to have a life before Roku!
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

Roku has never had an accurate speed test. Even when the Speedtest private channel still worked, it was never an accurate measure of your true Internet speed. When I had 60 Mbps DSL, it never reported higher than 25-30 Mbps. I now have almost 90 Mbps, and Netflix still reports in the 20s. However, remember that Netflix doesn't stream anything faster than 16 Mbps (4k material) Amazon is in the same ballpark. The only place I have ever seen my Roku streaming in excess of 20 Mbps is from my home media server. With that, I've seen UHD movies with peaks over 100 Mbps. Of course, this usually is accompanied with buffering, since Roku doesn't have Gigabit Ethernet ports. In theory wireless should be able to exceed 100 Mbps, but even on the 5 MHz band I get just as much buffering, if not more. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
cag505
Level 7

Thanks for replies.
Speeds on both more than adequate I was just wondering why ROKU half of ftv.
And actually ROKU buffers recently on Netflix sometimes, it never used to do that.
I wonder if version updates did that, I have version 8.1.0 build 4145.
Last updated 7-17-18.
Ftv does not buffer.
0 Kudos
Mazz
Level 10

So long as it's not lagging or buffering it shouldn't be a worry. Netflix on my Roku Premiere+ using Ethernet is about 22Mbps  and on my Amazon Fire TV Stick(2018) Netflix reads at 100Mbps+ using Wifi 5ghz.
0 Kudos