Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SharaCori

Sooo Frusterated! Roku model 3930X no remote and mobile app needing pairing

Roku 3930X and no remote... at different address.. downloaded the app.. but asks to pair device.... and also no wifi but have unlimited data also Hotspot but can't "smart view" because on the TV and roku device it asks for permission to cast.  And can't use remote from app cause asks to find device and won't.. I've tried Bluetooth also and not picking up. What the **bleep** am I doing!?? I know for a fact this isn't rocket science just because no remote.  I KNOW that their is a solution.  I also tried using a different remote one is for a Samsung smart tv that's in the living to and absolutely NO problems smart viewing on that.. and also have aElement tv remote currently not in use... so ooo... please help! 

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
Ello2022
Roku Guru

Re: Sooo Frusterated! Roku model 3930X no remote and mobile app needing pairing

So you lost the remote to to your Roku 3930 correct? Now you moved and your Roku won’t connect cause you don’t have the remote. The Roku mobile app won’t work cause your Roku needs to be connected to the WiFi first. So you need to buy a replacement Roku remote. You cannot use a remote from your Samsung TV or your Element TV

https://www.roku.com/products/accessories/roku-voice-remote

0 Kudos
SharaCori

Well ok... but can't I somehow use the Samsung or element remotes and if so how and do I " universe that to the tv or the roku? I would think the Samsung smart tv remotes would work better if at all possible... not sure about the element one.. oh wait... the element had the tv and our monitor to it so I could hook the roku up to that and use? **bleep** I don't know...I feel I'm so close but yet so far...

0 Kudos
Ello2022
Roku Guru

@SharaCori  I don’t know exactly what your thinking or trying to accomplish. Your Roku uses a simple remote programmed to your specific Roku. You can’t just take any remote you have lying around and expect it to control your Roku without it being programmed to your Roku. How to expect your Samsung or Element remote to control your Roku if they aren’t programmed for it? You need to buy a remote that will work and can be programmed to your Roku. You can buy a universal remote such as this one 

onn. R113663 6-Device Universal Remote

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@SharaCori wrote:

Roku 3930X and no remote... at different address.. downloaded the app.. but asks to pair device.... and also no wifi but have unlimited data also Hotspot but can't "smart view" because on the TV and roku device it asks for permission to cast.  And can't use remote from app cause asks to find device and won't.. I've tried Bluetooth also and not picking up. What the **bleep** am I doing!?? I know for a fact this isn't rocket science just because no remote.  I KNOW that their is a solution.  I also tried using a different remote one is for a Samsung smart tv that's in the living to and absolutely NO problems smart viewing on that.. and also have aElement tv remote currently not in use... so ooo... please help! 

The mobile app works through WiFi. Both the mobile device with the app and the Roku device must be on the same network for it to work. And the app won't work if the phone itself is the hotspot.

Quite simply, you need a remote. The model 3930 works with an IR remote. You can find a cheap ($10 or less) universal remote at Family Dollar, Walmart, Best Buy, CVS, Walgreens, and lots of other places. Just make sure the remote lists Roku as a supported device. Or get a Roku Simple Remote ($15) from Walmart, Best Buy, or such.

Once you have that, your remote issue is resolved, and you can connect to your phone's hotspot.

You might not like the answer, but that's the answer.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

atc98092

@SharaCori wrote:

Well ok... but can't I somehow use the Samsung or element remotes 

No, there's no way to use the TV's remote on a Roku. Your Roku does support IR, so you can pick up a very inexpensive (under $10) universal IR remote for almost any store that sells electronic stuff. Just make sure it lists Roku as a supported device. I've seen many that are even preprogrammed for Roku players. 

Dan

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
AvsGunnar

@SharaCori 

Getting a replacement remote (even an inexpensive universal streaming remote) is the easiest.T

There are a couple other ways that require some network methods.  If you are able to change your new location's router to the same network name (ssid) and password as your previous one, the Roku should be able to connect and then you can use your Remote app.

Another method is to use a mobile hotspot (again, rename the hotspot to your old network credentials - ssid name and password).  Use another mobile device launch the remote app and connect to this hotspot as well.  Once you are all connected, should be able to go into Roku Settings and change your Network over to your new location's router's Wifi connection.

----

Basically, the Roku remembers the last known working network connection.  You are basically tricking it into thinking it is connecting to your other location's network connection by changing the SSID and password in one of the above methods.

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102