Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Something went wrong check internet settings while watching Britbox

@rkish 

One thought: Which Roku Ultra? Model number will help. Settings > System > About

Roku Ultra models prior to 4800 had microSD slots. Sometimes, using those could result in some weird unexpected problems. Roku extended the on-board storage of the Ultra beginning with the 4800 and eliminated the usefulness of the microSD card. If your Ultra has a microSD card, remove it, reboot the device, and see if it makes a difference.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
sirgroiney
Channel Surfer

Interesting. This also happens with the ROKU Soundbar Pro which I purchased last year and this problem with BritBox having that irritating alert "SOMETHING WENT WRONG" or whatever it says is ongoing. I was going to go back to my Ultra, but I see you have the same problem with that one. I did not subscribe to Britbox when I had the Ultra. I'm pretty annoyed, with both ROKU and Britbox. Somebody knows something and isn't talking. 

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Hello @sirgroiney

Thanks for the post.

Does the issue only occur on BritBox or across other channels installed on your Roku device?

If you haven't tried yet, you can remove the affected channel and then reinstall it. To ensure the process is successful, restart your device before adding the channel back in. We would recommend doing this from the Settings menu by navigating to Settings > System > Power (If you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step.) > System restart.

For detailed instructions, refer to this Support link: How do I resolve channel playback issues?

Let us know if there's any difference after.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
sirgroiney
Channel Surfer

Yes, it happens ONLY on Britbox! While watching, let's say two episodes back to back the alert appears and it's appearance increases as time goes by. I chatted with Britbox today and they said if I've tried everything that has been suggested by them in the past (as I have done several times already) that it is probably my TV. Which they've never said before.

Therefore, I contacted the chat for SONY and they have been very helpful in narrowing down what it could be. Unfortunately the negative alert I get on Britbox "SOMETHING WENT WRONG" does not appear when we are testing. (of course!) I am in the middle of trying SONY's step by step suggestions.

I use ROKU's soundbar pro, by the way. SONY has suggested I unplug ROKU and then reset the SONY to factory setting, which I haven't tried before. I will also dump Britbox APP first and then go through all the SONY recommended steps, then re-install the Britbox APP at the end of all this hassle. If that doesn't work I will tolerate the SOMETHING WENT WRONG for as long as I can and then probably stop subscribing to Britbox. I feel like they don't really care if this problem is solved for any of us. And that, my friends, is a fact. 

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

@sirgroiney

Thanks for the details!

If the issue persists from one channel after attempting the suggestions above, videos from other channels play fine, contact the channel provider's customer support team to report the issue and get help. 

Channels on Roku are maintained by the channel developer themselves. In this case, there's likely an issue within that specific channel that needs to be addressed with an update from them.

We appreciate your understanding.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
sirgroiney
Channel Surfer

Hi RokuKariza-D ! Thank you for taking the time to address my problem. Yes, I have contacted Britbox and basically it's the same suggestion: to discard the APP on my TV and reinstate it which I've done along with all the other suggestions.

Now a new theory: While watching Britbox two episodes of a fairly old BBC series last night, I never had ANY of the SOMETHING WENT WRONG screens pop up. I am now wondering if it's NEW series and films and how they are digitized that makes my ROKU, my SONY BRAVIA TV and my Britbox APP not work in tandem. I have no technical knowledge of what that could be. Just a surprise that no SOMETHING WENT WRONG flashed by. Maybe some of the community has a clue?

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

@sirgroiney

Appreciate the response. 

Could you tell us how are you accessing BritBox? Is it through The Roku Channel or the standalone BritBox app that can be accessed directly to your home screen?

Please let us know. We'd like to know more about how we can help.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
sirgroiney
Channel Surfer

Yes, I subscribe from Britbox directly online but I use the APP from my (what appears to be the ROKU home screen). All my APPs to channels like Netflix, etc. show up there and I select the icon for Britbox and proceed. I do this ONLY using the ROKU remote. I use the soundbar pro on my SONY Bravia TV.

I have deleted and then "reinstalled" the Britbox APP on my TV a couple of times as Britbox suggested to refresh it or whatever that does. It didn't happen at all last night watching an old series on Britbox. But a couple of days ago it happened several times during a new series of theirs. I am wondering if that is a clue. 

Just a note, it NEVER happens on my 2021 MAC when I watch Britbox through their website online. Yesterday when I chatted with them they just repeat the same solution. Reinstall the APP. They would not tell me if anyone else has complained about this before. But I do see complaints on other blogs about it.

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

@sirgroiney

I apologize for the delay in response and thanks for keeping us updated on the issue you're experiencing.

As mentioned above, it looks like there's an issue with the BritBox channel on our platform. Since channels on Roku are maintained by the channel provider themselves, we indeed recommend continuing to work with BritBox's customer support to report the issue. They might need to release an update that will resolve the problem with the new series added to their app on Roku. 

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos