Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jscott1

Someone else is controlling our Roku device. Help!

When the Roku is left without activity for more than about 1 hour. Someone begins controlling the Roku, navigating to locations and mostly adding channels to our Roku. When we begin using the remote control "they will keep trying to make selections until they recognize that we are using the Roku and then they will stop until the Roku is left unattended again.  I think it has been hacked... but I am not sure.  I have searched Roku topics as well as youtube and not successfully found a similar situation... Help.

10 REPLIES 10
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Someone else is controlling our Roku device. Help!

The only possibility that comes to mind is that someone is piggybacking on your home wifi and using the Roku mobile app to control your Roku.  They can view anything on The Roku Channel via the app.  It would have to be someone in close enough proximity to connect to your wifi.  If you don't have a password on your net, configure your router to add one so your neighbor can't connect.  If you have a password, change it.  Either way, you'll need to reconnect your Roku to your net via the new password.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
Mike225Mike
Channel Surfer

yup.  Did that and a 10 other things to beef up security which I have plenty of, didn't work.  Love the units, had them a while but this is the first and only time I've ever been hacked and it's sure leaning towards the roku.  When they're all off and unplugged, every device in the house works as it should.  If you have any suggestions, since it seems they're working fine on your side, they would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
makaiguy

What model Roku(s)? I'm wondering about some sort of spurious IR interference.
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
Mike225Mike
Channel Surfer

I have the roku ultra.  The 4670rw...4 of them.  The one in the black box with the jbl headphones. 

0 Kudos
Mike225Mike
Channel Surfer

I'm hoping you're right cause I'm constantly shutting off wifi to get it, who or What off my network.  It's actually getting worse.  I'm going to see if buying a new router as well as getting a new modem will do the trick.  Just silly to throw money away like that.  So again, I hope what your thinking is right....the for getting back. Let me know if you come up with anything else. 

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

Next time is starts doing something, try covering the IR receiver and see if that helps.  (I'm not sure exactly where it is on your model, but it's small enough to just cover the whole front with your hand.) This is to eliminate stray IR.  If this helps, likely causes are flickering lights and a "lost" remote that is being squeezed by sofa cushions. (Sounds silly but it comes up on AV forums repeatedly.)

0 Kudos
Mike225Mike
Channel Surfer

Nope, doesn't sound silly.  I'll give it a shot...appreciate it.

0 Kudos
ebgwd
Binge Watcher

Do you have mac address filtering setup on your router?
I found that mac address filtering works for me.

Have you also cut off the ssid broadcast feature on your wifi?
I do that for business setups that I maintain so that others can't see the name of the wifi.
It helps, too.

If you don't understand then read your router manual and then login to your router and checkout the options.

Tivoburkee

It could also have been the neighbor paired their wifi remote to the OP Ultra. Check under remote & devices> remotes. See what listed there? 

Edmund

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos