Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
OwnerofDevices
Level 8

Re: Slow Speeds on Roku TV vs. Tested on Phone

If you login to your router you will see that the connection speeds on your Roku wireless AC devices that have a strong signal will be about 152mps or less. You should see 866mps,since Rokus with wireless AC use 2X2 Wi-Fi card in the devices, but you won't. I tried calling technical support, but the technical support rep was very dismissive of my problem. I have 5 Roku products, I just want the wireless AC devices  that I bought to perform correctly. 

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

I understand your point, but if you're only streaming media from the Internet you're still only using a portion of the speed you're seeing displayed in the router table. Virtually nothing online streams higher than around 20-25 Mbps. Yes, Roku advertises 802.11ac support. But nowhere do they make any claims as to the speeds possible. Supporting the .11ac protocol is no assurance any device can offer the maximum speed the protocol can offer.

I've used test files playing directly into the USB port on an Ultra 4800, their fastest and most powerful player. it cannot play 180 Mbps H.264 video without buffering. So what's the point of having a posted faster speed? There's nothing that streams that fast, and even if there was the player can't handle that sort of bitrate. You have to remember what these players are designed to do, which is to stream media over the Internet. For that purpose, there's no issue with the speeds these players can handle.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
OwnerofDevices
Level 8

Roku is not being honest to people that buy wireless AC devices. Wireless AC is a set standard and Roku did not put an asterisk next to the specs letting people know to expect significantly slower speeds than any other wireless AC devices on the market. Roku is only turning off a lot of customers and it is really easy to put another competitor's streaming device in your Roku tv if someone wants to experience the real deal of wireless AC.     

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

Again, no Roku can benefit from .11ac theoretical speeds. They don't even support the potential maximum of .11n. How is Roku being dishonest? Many/most WiFi devices don't advertise the speeds they are capable of supporting, other than routers/access points and USB adapters. I've never seen a Blu Ray player, or other similar consumer electronic device, state what speeds their wireless supports. They only advertise the protocols supported, and people make assumptions what speeds the device will actually support. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
OwnerofDevices
Level 8

Yes, people can benefit a lot from theoretical wireless AC adapter speeds. Faster wifi speed let's people download updates faster, stream things locally and browse or search for channels fast and lastly downloading of channels is quicker too with a faster connection. Today, I ordered a Verizon branded android tv box. The Verizon box is wireless AX. I am very curious to see if the android box puts the brakes on the Wi-Fi like Roku does. I have a wireless AX router, so I will know the connection speed to the router from the device. I don't think anyone needs to be a Verizon customer to buy the box either. The checkout let's a buyer choose logging in with a Verizon account or checking out as a guest. 

0 Kudos
OwnerofDevices
Level 8

Sweet, my new Verizon branded android tv streaming device is connecting to the router at 846mbps! Verizon sent me a first generation box that has android tv 9.0 installed, wireless ac, and an ethernet port that I think is a 10/100mbps port. I happy to report that android did not put the brakes on the wireless like Roku.

0 Kudos