Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ramair02
Binge Watcher

Slow Roku TV download speeds

I have a 2018 TCL 6 series Roku TV in my bedroom. The download speeds are significantly slower than running a speed test on my phone. And it buffers or says my server isn't fast enough when playing high bitrate 1080p files through Plex.

Ookla speed test on my phone shows 300+mbps download and upload. However, the Roku TV shows 40mbps download speed with "Excellent" signal strength.

I have an Orbi mesh system in my home and the satellite is in the same room as the Roku TV. The TV is connected to 5ghz network and the channel is not congested. Internet service is FiOS Gigabit. 

This has been bugging me since I don't have an issue with high bitrate 1080p files on any of my other TVs in my home. I have a 2020 TCL 5 series Roku TV in the basement, a Roku Ultra in the living room and two Roku Streaming Stick+ in other bedrooms. The only issue is with the TV in my bedroom.

Any tips? Thanks in advance.

3 REPLIES 3
zbeat

Re: Slow Roku TV download speeds

+1 exact same problem 😕

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@zbeat

Thanks for the post.

Can you please specify the issue you are experiencing? What specific Roku model device are you using? What are the steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing? What troubleshooting steps have you already taken to try to resolve the issue?

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
OwnerofDevices
Roku Guru

Also, take into consideration that Roku puts the brakes on wireless AC. All 4 of my wireless AC products have a line speed of 152mbps and not 866.6mbps with a strong wireless signal. 3 devices get 94mbps of download speed and one device a little further from my router gets 76mbps of download speed on the Roku download test. The only way you can find your line speed is in most cases is to logon your router. I have Verizon g3100.

Even though Roku put a governor on wireless speed I have not had any buffering when I stream anything across the internet. 

0 Kudos