Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ElyseW
Level 8

Sharp Roku TV won't connect to wifi after move

I have a Sharp Roku TV that worked fine in my former apartment.  I moved and have same internet provider, but TV will not connect.  Have tried everything.  On the phone with Sharp Tech Support and CenturyLink.  I've rebooted, restarted and reset.  Finally, Sharp suggested a factory reset.  Now I'm at the beginning of the set-up, but Step 3 is connecting to wifi and it simply won't (can no longer see Menu, Settings, etc. because it's at the beginning and not set-up).  CenturyLink even set up a new network name and password.  Still no connection.  The screen locates the network, the signal is strong, but no luck connecting.  My phone and laptop connected no problem using the network and password I've tried on the TV.

Don't suggest Ethernet connection because the TV model doesn't have an Ethernet port.

After several hours of trying everything multiple times, I'm about to throw the TV out.  Again, problem arose after a move.  New router, but same provider.   HELP!!!!

10 Replies
ElyseW
Level 8

Re: Sharp Roku TV won't connect to wifi after move

Continuing this saga -- we bought a new TV thinking maybe the old software was outdated and it was time to upgrade.  Same problem.  Tried ethernet cable (this model had a port), but no luck. Meanwhile, we moved the old TV to another home and it worked.  We concluded it wasn't the TV and had to be something with new modem/router configuration. 

Multiple calls to CenturyLink who insisted it wasn't their issue as all other devices were working.  Went online to a CenturyLink site that provided all the settings and options, but it was Greek to us.  Called again.  This time the agent suggested we call a special department that handled video issues.  Jen was our technician.  We explained the problem for the 10th time.  She asked if we could go to the site that showed the settings -- we were already there.  Asked us to change a setting that said "Block special characters" to "allow special characters."  And voila -- it worked.  One simple change to the modem settings.

Jen said this is a common problem with Roku TV's.  Installer should have set it correctly.  But, even so, no one except Jen seemed to know about it.  And it took 3 days, multiple resets, purchasing a cable and a new TV to figure it out.

Would be interesting to see if others in this new community encountered a similar issue as this is a CenturyLink only complex, but our clubhouse is closed due to Corona virus.  Have never seen this particular "fix" on any video or other online sites.

0 Kudos
arelysandoval
Level 7

Hi!! I came across your post as I am having the same exact problem. My router seems to be working fine on all devices except my sharp tv. It says there is a network connection error. I've tried everything at this point from connecting to disconnecting the tv and router to now resetting the tv. The problem is I can't fully reset it without having to connect it to the wifi. In short, I'm back in square one. I was wondering if you could tell me where exactly is the special characters on the settings you mentioned. It could help a lot. Thank you! @ElyseW 

0 Kudos
MPal
Level 7

Seems to be a problem with the update. I’m having the same issue. The only solution right now is to unplug the TV. I hope Roku fixes it quick.

0 Kudos
tsbradberry
Level 7

I was having the same issues. The TV stopped working and was not connecting to the WiFi, no matter how many times I reset the router. What seemed to work for me is I went into settings and reset the network setting and resigned in and it started back working. I hope this helps. 

ACarolina
Level 7

I had the  same problem, you just need to reset the network

Settings > System > Advanced system settings > Network connection reset > Reset connection

Good luck

SpecialK
Level 7

Yes, this just worked for me as well. Thanks!

stephmgray
Level 7

Thank you for this advice I just did it on my tv after being unable to figure it out for the last week and now it works!

Vaibhav
Level 7

I reset my network but my TV is still not connecting to my home wifi, all other devices are connected. Any other comments or idea 

0 Kudos
ACarolina
Level 7

Try to unplug your TV and reset wifi (unplug and reset it) them after you had reset the wifi, reset the TV wifi settings. 

Good Luck

0 Kudos