Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Setting Up, can't connect WiFi

Express +  WiFi network is found. Password is correct. Using WPA-PSK encryption on the password. Mobile phone connects just fine. After entering password, I get the 014.40 wireless error. Can't get past this issue.

I have read every tip, done every reset.

The only thing I find odd is that the power light on the Roku device, when starting, is bright, but gets very dim after the startup screen.

Mobile device works fine in the same room, 700 feet away from router.

0 Kudos
17 Replies
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Setting Up, can't connect WiFi

I meant 70 feet away from the router.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

Thanks for the note. If you'[re encountering that error code, take a look here for steps to help resolve it: https://support.roku.com/article/208755728-what-should-i-do-if-i-cannot-connect-to-my-home-network-o...

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Already have done all of the above. It finds my wireless connection. Just doesn't connect after entering the password. Big Red X. I'm well versed in routers and wireless. Other wireless devices connect just fine using the SSID and password. Just not the Roku device.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I am having the same issue all of a sudden. all of my other devices are connecting properly, except for Roku 3.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I can't.conect.towiify
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Same issue with an LT & basic Stick (came w/ TV). Router is WRT3200ACM & every other device I own has ZERO issues connecting; Apple TV4k, ATV2, LG TV, iPhone 6S+, iPad6, Brother AIO, Canon cam, MacBook PRO, Carista OBD2 scanner, and even really old HP EliteBook.

Tried all the "tricks", resets, voodoo with chicken bones, even at < 5ft from the router; neither device will connect. Gets stuck at 'connect to local network'. Yet the router 'sees' the Roku's, Even tried as an unsecured network, NO GO. (I'm former sigint vet, I know my way around WiFi & radio tech.)

I'm convinced the old Roku's have cheap, obsolete, POS wifi chipsets. Not willing to gamble on buying another unsupported Roku (based on all the forum complaints). No more Roku for me, I'm getting a Fire Stick 4K.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Well I found the solution, since no-one from the Roku tech staff had any answers. It's called "Return for my money Back". Best solution. Have a nice day!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I am having this same issue. I’m trying to set up my Roku Premiere. I am choosing the correct wifi network & inputting the correct password. My iphone is connected no problem... but the Roku will just not connect. I’ve rebooted it & the router & even did a hard reset to no avail. How do I fix this? Please help. Thanks!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Hi,

Thanks for letting us know about the issue that you are experiencing.

I would recommend checking out our Support page for troubleshooting issues here: What should I do if I cannot connect to my home network or the internet?

- Have you ensured your router is broadcasting a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network for the device to connect to? The Roku Premiere is only compatible with wireless b/g/n networks on the 2.4 GHz spectrum. 
- Have you tried changing the wireless broadcast channel on the router to see if this will allow your device to connect? 
- Have you tried moving the device closer to your router to see if you can get connected? 

If those things still aren't helping, feel free to send me a PM with your Roku account email address and the serial number of your Roku from Settings>System>About and I'll get you in touch with our support team for more assistance.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos