Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Scamed

I was scammed today trying to setup a second device on my tv downstairs.  I called a number that was not Roku after entering the code and saying “oops connection failed” call this number.  Which I stupidly did.  When the person asked for my email address and password I thought that was fishy but I did it anyway.  Stupid, stupid, stupid.  He then began loading all of the channels on my tv so I thought all is good. Then he started telling me I needed to now “register” my account with Roku under a five year or twelve year plan I thought, no way.  Everything I knew about Roku was it was free.  So I declined and we argued for several minutes but I told him I was interested and hung up.  As soon as I hanged up all the channels he had loaded (I still wonder how he did that) all went away.  Everything wiped out on my upstairs tv as well.  I tried to sign into my Roku account and it wouldn’t take my password.  Duh, no surprise there.  I also cancelled my credit card tied to my Roku account so he won’t be getting any free stuff on me.  My BIGGEST concern is my wireless network.  Does he have my password through my Roku account or is it encrypted?  Please let me know as soon as possible as I don’t want to worry about him hacking into my computer system etc.  Thanks, Chris

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Level 21

Re: Scamed

Don't worry, he doesn't have access to your network or your credit card information unless you gave it to him.  The guy is quite a jerk and should be tracked down and executed.  :-)

0 Kudos
Level 7

Thanks for the reply.  My only concern that he has access to my wireless network is the fact that when I was talking to him after I gave him my Roku account information (email address and password) he somehow was in Roku and starting adding channels onto my tv as we were talking about “registering” my account.  Once he knew that I wasn’t going to pay money to “register” my account and I hung up, all the channels he added were wiped out and my account was wiped out because my other tv was cleared of all channels.  What can he do with my Roku account?  We since cleared all history from each device and restarted each device we then setup a new account under my wife’s email account with a different password.  Both tv’s are up and running without any issues today. Please explain to me how he was able to add channels using my account.  I just need to be assured our wireless network is protected.  Thanks so much for the follow up!!!  Chris

0 Kudos
Level 21

You can add channels, but not remove them, via the Roku website, so that's how he did that.  I'm not sure how he removed channels although he may have just closed your account and that's why all the channels disappeared.

0 Kudos