Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

SOLVED - Roku Premiere kills my router

Greetings,

Been using a Roku 2 XS (ethernet) since 2011.

Replace it with a Roku Premiere a couple weeks ago.

My D-Link dir-655 will freeze / die every 4 to 12 hours with the Roku Premiere.

My D-Link dir-655 has been rock solid forever, it just never goes down.

If I replace the Premiere with the 2 XS, no more router problem.

I have the typical mix of wireless devices hooked up to the router; access points, multiple echos,  computer, printer, android phones and security cameras. The latter is a really issue for me, cannot have the router going down for security reasons.

Ideas?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
fluke
Level 10

Re: Roku Premiere kills my router

There are a couple thing you can try as work-arounds.

The DIR-655 has a quality of service setting called Wireless MultiMedia (WMM) support that it might be possible is being used by the ROku for the first time.  It may be possible the DIR-655's WMM support has been buggy this entire time and you never knew because nothing attempted to use it.  Under the DIR-655 Advanced Wireless settings, try unchecking WMM Enable.

If that doesn't help, try setting it temporarily to 802.11g Only mode and set Channel Width to 20Mhz.

Ultimately, if you need the router to remain always up then you should replace it regardless of what Roku model you attempt to use with it.  There are three versions of the DIR-655 uncreatively named A, B and C.  Latest firmware for hardware A was version 1.37 released in 2013.  Latest firmware for hardware B was version 2.11 also released in 2013.  Latest non-beta version of the firmware for DIR-655 hardware C is 3.02_B05 released in 2014.

Based on source code D-Link released to remain compliant with the General Public License for the Linux kernel that is used in these routers, it looks like that are using Linux kernel version 2.6.18.

A *LOT* has happen in terms of computer and wireless security since 2014.  The security provided by Linux kernel 2.6.18, WPA (Wifi Protected Access) and WPA2 has not aged well over time.  There have been several vulnerabilities found with the 2.6 kernel and in 2017 the KRACK attack pointed out huge holes in wireless encryption.  Newer access points should be using a newer kernel that has been revised to address these concerns and well as use KRACK attack mitigations.  Firmware last updated in 2014 is not going to have any of these security fixes.

I would also recommend replacing any equipment that only supports 802.11g and doesn't have 802.11n support.  Having even one 802.11g device will downgrade the entire wireless network to remain compatible with that one device.

As a side note, the Roku Premiere 2018 and Roku OS 9.0 also discloses the several software versions used to comply with the GPL.  The disclosed Linux kernel version is 3.10.40.  Hopefully Roku OS 9.1 is using at least 3.16.67 but that hasn't been revealed yet.  The 3.10 kernel still addresses several known issues with the 2.6 kernel.  It also looks like it has been using wpa_supplicant 1.0 which hopefully Roku OS 9.1 updates to 2.8 to also address KRACK.  Lastly, Roku OS 9.0 includes the drivers for the Realtek 8188 wireless chipset.  I'm not aware of anything about Linux 3.16, wpa_supplicant 1.0 or the RT8188 that should be causing your access point to crash.  Android used to use wpa_supplicant and there are plenty of other devices that have use the Linux 3.16 and RT8188 wifi chipset without causing access points to crash.  These are each fairly commonly used components so my gut feeling is Roku Premiere is just hitting a bug on the DIR-655 that nothing else was triggering but is not technically a Roku bug.
0 Kudos

Thx for the reply.

I disabled WMM Enable per your advice.

Not gonna change anything else yet, wanna see if this works. Usually won't make it past 24 hours. I will let you know.

BTW

Hardware Version: B1
Firmware Version: 2.11NA

I know it's ancient but have never had a problem with it before Smiley Happy

Thx again!

0 Kudos

The results are in: TRAGIC lol but it was worth a shot.

Router died about an hour after deselecting WMM Enable.

Rebooted router, went to bed, Netflix was taking forever to load a show (normally it's just about instant).

Got up and ran speedtest, was at 6 Mbps down, normally I am at 50.

Tured WMM Enable back on, speed shot back up.

So...looks like I am shopping for a new router.

Any objections to the NETGEAR R6700 Nighthawk AC1750 ?

Thanks again :)
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 12

Sounds like a good replacement to me.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
fluke
Level 10

"flaxseedoil1000" wrote:

So...looks like I am shopping for a new router.

Any objections to the NETGEAR R6700 Nighthawk AC1750 ?

I would recommend going for a price point you are willing to re-spend every 2 years.  The Netgear R6700 is currently going for $85 on Amazon and if getting two years for that price is fine with you then go for it.
An access point is typically the most exposed device on any home network as it is the only one with an Internet/WAN port.  Also, in the next two years, I expect we will see better adoption of WPA3 security (including on Roku) and possibly see 802.11ax become cheaper (but possibly not included on Roku for a while).
The TP-Link AC1200 is selling around $40 and should fit as a replacement for the DIR-655 capabilities.
0 Kudos

Thanks all, R6700 should be here Monday. Smiley Happy
0 Kudos

Re: SOLVED - Roku Premiere kills my router

It's been over 24 hours since replacing the D-Link 655 with a Netgear R6700.

No issues so far.

Thx again all.
0 Kudos
dgrace
Level 9

I had to bid farewell to my old trustworthy 655 a while ago too. Was good for many years.
"I might be moving to Montana soon..."
FZ
0 Kudos
Heyitsrick
Level 10

I still have my 655 in service as a wifi extender. I'm using an ethernet-over-powerline system to extend wired internet to another room, and an 8-port switch to feed devices - including the Dir-655 - from that. Does the job.
0 Kudos