Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SheikYerbouti
Level 7

Rokus undetectable on by everything but my laptops screen cast

I'm not sure if there's any help you guys can give me here, however it's pretty strange and you might have some insight.

I've been using the roku remote app for about a year now and being that I live on a college campus I see a lot more than one device when I scan to connect to my device. Abruptly this evening the app has stopped showing traces of any device when I scan, even my own, and this is with very strong wifi signal. 

I then verified on a few of the 3rd party remote apps if any devices would be showing, they all showed nothing.
I also downloaded a few of the apps on my laptop that could act as a roku remote, to verify if it were my phone however none of them showed anything. 

It so far seems like an obvious wifi issue, however this is where it gets strange. My microsoft laptop has a screen casting feature, in which my roku was instantly detected and I was able to cast my screen to it.

Am I losing my mind or is there a completely logical explanation for this? It almost has to be wifi related, right?

Note: all devices I've used have been connected to the same exact wifi

0 Kudos
2 Replies
makaiguy
Level 21

Re: Rokus undetectable on by everything but my laptops screen cast

Your Roku apps connect via your local network, which provides internet access.  If your Roku loses its connection to your local network, none of the Roku apps will see it.

Screen casting uses wifi-direct which bypasses your local network and makes a direct device-to-device connection, which is why it can connect even when your Roku has lost its net connection.

I don't know what causes a Roku to lose its local network connection, but this has always restored it for me:

• Restart your router (even if other devices have no problem finding and connecting). Sometimes that's all it takes, if not keep going.
  • Restart the Roku to clear its memory via Settings / System / System restart (for a Roku TV it's Settings / System / Power / System restart). Again sometimes that's all it takes, if not keep going.
  • Find and connect to your network via Settings / Network / Set up connection
  • If that doesn't fix it, try disconnecting the power to your Roku for a few seconds.  When it comes back up, see if you then can set up the network connection.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Level 17

Re: Rokus undetectable on by everything but my laptops screen cast

@SheikYerbouti wrote:

I'm not sure if there's any help you guys can give me here, however it's pretty strange and you might have some insight.

I've been using the roku remote app for about a year now and being that I live on a college campus I see a lot more than one device when I scan to connect to my device. Abruptly this evening the app has stopped showing traces of any device when I scan, even my own, and this is with very strong wifi signal. 

I then verified on a few of the 3rd party remote apps if any devices would be showing, they all showed nothing.
I also downloaded a few of the apps on my laptop that could act as a roku remote, to verify if it were my phone however none of them showed anything. 

It so far seems like an obvious wifi issue, however this is where it gets strange. My microsoft laptop has a screen casting feature, in which my roku was instantly detected and I was able to cast my screen to it.

Am I losing my mind or is there a completely logical explanation for this? It almost has to be wifi related, right?

Note: all devices I've used have been connected to the same exact wifi

A few things:

1)  If you haven't already restarted both your Roku and your phone, do so, then try again.

2) Just as an FYI, on Roku (and other) devices, mirroring=Miracast (remote display, entire screen) and casting=DIAL (remote control, in-app) are two different processes.

3) Make sure the network name of your Roku (Settings/System/About) matches the device name you are mirroring/casting to on the sending devices/apps (especially in dorm/apt scenario with everyone on the same network).

4) "Control by mobile apps" (Settings/System/Advanced system settings) allows mobile app access to the Roku (using DIAL), but this setting is broken in OS9.4/10 (its always enabled regardless).

5) You didnt mention your Roku model (unknown), but your account is showing a 2710 - which has no screen mirroring functionality.  It supports casting via DIAL (e.g. within Roku/NetFlix/YouTube apps), but it does not support mirroring via Miracast.

6) So, either your mirroring session using your Windows (unknown version) connected to one of your dormmates' Rokus, or you dont have a 2710.

7) Your school may have implemented AP/client isolation - this prevents devices on the WLAN/LAN from being able to see/connect to each other - this would impact casting (DIAL - uses AP connection), but it would not impact mirroring (Miracast - uses WiFi Direct).

8) Start over, provide us with your exact Roku model #, firmware version, phone/tablet brand/model, and the version of the Roku app you are using, as well as the Windows version and the exact steps you using to mirror or cast.

0 Kudos